Shany
Topic Author

Who Pays For Engine Damage?

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Who pays for an engine failure for example as a result of a bird strike or the ingestion of foreign object debris? The airline? Insurance? What if the engine is leased or the airline has a "power by hour" agreement with an engine manufacturer?

Any ideas?

Thx
Shany

[Edited 2012-10-28 12:17:36]
ETOPS - Engines Turn Or People Swim

dkswim

RE: Who Pays For Engine Damage?

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Insurance, normaly pays for damaged engines.

tdscanuck

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:24 pm

Quoting Shany (Thread starter):
Who pays for an engine failure for example as a result of a bird strike or the ingestion of foreign object debris?

The owner of the engine (usually the airline).

The airline? Insurance?

If they have insurance for that particular failure then insurance would pay for it, but I don't think that's common. The costs of that kind of engine damage, relative to the financial resources of most airlines, wouldn't really support a good business case for insurance.

What if the engine is leased or the airline has a "power by hour" agreement with an engine manufacturer?

There is a lot of contract variation with power-by-the-hour but, I think, if you have power-by-the-hour the cost would generally be absorbed by the engine owner (usually the engine OEM but not always).

Tom.

HAWK21M

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:53 am

Insurance normally does, but then it depends on the contract signed between the insurer & the Airline concerned.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

arffdude

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:48 pm

If the damage occurs on an airport, the airport operator can potentially be held liable for at least a portion of the damages.

DocLightning

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:16 am

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 2):
There is a lot of contract variation with power-by-the-hour but, I think, if you have power-by-the-hour the cost would generally be absorbed by the engine owner (usually the engine OEM but not always).

And this led to an awful lot of friction between QF and RR when one of RR's engines decided to go all happy on QF's A380 a couple of years back. I believe that in QF's PBTH agreement, RR retains ownership of the engine, and so RR was responsible for fixing the aircraft and I think QF tried to hit them up for loss of use, too, especially since it affected a lot of the fleet.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan