BreninTW
Topic Author

Orphan Types Used Once A Week On A Flight

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:06 am

Last year, I was planning my annual escape from Taiwan and I noticed that CX flew HKG - JNB with an A343 once a week, the remaining flights were with the 744.

How does this work for crewing? Does the A343 crew stay in JNB for a week, or do they dead-head to JNB to pick up the flight back?

I'm assuming that CX doesn't have pilots who are type-rated for, and fly, both types concurrently.

airxliban

RE: Orphan Types Used Once A Week On A Flight

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:20 am

On a one-off like that the return crew would deadhead out to JNB a day or two before, rest at the outstation and then bring the plane back to HKG. The crew that flew the plane to JNB would get a day of rest and deadhead back to HKG on the next day's flight. At least that's what I think would happen, especially if HKG-JNB is daily for CX.

I don't think they'd make the crew wait a whole week at the outstation but I could be wrong. If it's just flight crew it may actually be possible, but I doubt they'd keep a whole complement of flight + cabin crew out there for a week.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

Fabo

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:31 pm

I can not be sure about CX, but it is quite common for cabin crew to work multiple types. I can imagine CCs working 747 one way and 340 the other.

Cockpit crew, well, if I was the planner, I would have them deadhead home the next day (and out the previous)
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

workhorse

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:58 am

This is curious. Why would CX schedule a 343 to JNB only once a week? AF used to have such an "orphan" once-a-week 343 flight to LAX, but that was because they had a 343-operated LAX-PPT and the weekly CDG-LAX was needed to turn the 343's in for maintenance. So, there was always a 330/340 rated flight crew staying in LAX for LAX-PPT purposes and they would also take care of LAX-CDG.

But CX does not have flights from JNB on to somewhere else, so why this?

777ord

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:48 am

They most likely stay there..

Here on the S-CO side. our 777 crew stays in LOS (Lagos) for almost 3 days!!!

thegeek

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:56 am

When does this happen? When I search the timetable, it shows an all 744 service.

Perhaps it was a sub for a plane going unserviceable, which would (presumably) mean that they didn't have advance notice so couldn't pre-position a crew to bring the plane back.

BreninTW
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:07 am

Quoting thegeek (Reply 5):
When does this happen? When I search the timetable, it shows an all 744 service.

It would have been in 2011 -- I just didn't remember to ask my question earlier.

When I went home last month CX was pretty much alternating the 77W and 744.