upsmd11
Topic Author

Crew Time Limits

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Hello all,

My partner and I are on DL 81 today after being cancelled on DL 141 yesterday to JFK. Now 81 is delayed due to a maintenance problem and we are experiencing continued delays.

My question revolves around the crew time out we may experience. Our original departure time was 10:40am and is now pushed to 6:00pm. They say the crew is OK for now but how long can they go? Will they be able to "rest" until the flight dispatches and the mx is taken care of?

Also, if anybody at DL is watching this, what is the mechanical problem? They say we are waiting on a part to arrive from AMS but they are driving it over. Very frustrating not to know.

Thanks,
John

airtran737

RE: Crew Time Limits

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:24 pm

It's a three man crew from BRU to ATL. IIRC a three man crew can fly up to 13 hours and be on duty for 16 hours. That's why your crew is good. If they knew of the delay and kept the crew in the hotel, then they are good for whenever DL gets it fixed.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Semaex

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Quoting upsmd11 (Thread starter):

If my Air Law memory serves me right, according to ICAO the minimum rest a flight crew has to have is as long as the previous duty time was, but no less than ten hours within a continuous six day duty, other than that 36 hours which must cover two local nights of eight hours each and bla bla bla...

So to answer your question:
Will they be able to "rest" until the flight dispatches and the mx is taken care of?
No, they won't be able to rest and take your delayed flight at 6:00pm again. If they were on duty at 10:40am, even just one minute, then in case they rest, their next duty time mustn't start earlier than 10:40pm.
// You know you're an aviation enthusiast when you look at your neighbour's cars and think about fleet commonality.

GT4EZY

Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:43 pm

Hello all,

My partner and I are on DL 81 today after being cancelled on DL 141 yesterday to JFK. Now 81 is delayed due to a maintenance problem and we are experiencing continued delays.

My question revolves around the crew time out we may experience. Our original departure time was 10:40am and is now pushed to 6:00pm. They say the crew is OK for now but how long can they go? Will they be able to "rest" until the flight dispatches and the mx is taken care of?

Also, if anybody at DL is watching this, what is the mechanical problem? They say we are waiting on a part to arrive from AMS but they are driving it over. Very frustrating not to know.

Thanks,
John

I know it is frustrating but going into specific 'tech' details isn't always wise. Firstly it probably wouldn't mean anything to most pax, secondly the ground staff probably won't have a good enough understanding either. The best thing to do is to wait until you board and I'm sure the crew will give a more detailed explanation that is worded and explained in a fashion that is understandable by your average pax. Until then, 'mechanical problem' is the wisest information to give under the circumstances.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

airtran737

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:57 pm

Quoting Semaex (Reply 2):
No, they won't be able to rest and take your delayed flight at 6:00pm again. If they were on duty at 10:40am, even just one minute, then in case they rest, their next duty time mustn't start earlier than 10:40pm.

If they never showed for the flight, then DL could keep them in rest and alert them when the plane is fixed. Maybe a two hour callout or so. We do it in the ACMI all the time and it works great.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

71Zulu

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:27 am

Clickable links only please!

Viscount724

Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:02 am

Quoting Semaex (Reply 2):

If my Air Law memory serves me right, according to ICAO the minimum rest a flight crew has to have is as long as the previous duty time was, but no less than ten hours within a continuous six day duty, other than that 36 hours which must cover two local nights of eight hours each and bla bla bla...

If you're referring to the ICAO Annexes, those are only recommendations. It's up to each country to either adopt the ICAO standards or issue their own regulations which often have many differences from the ICAO Annexes. And, of course, any operator from that country may choose to apply more restrictive rules than required by the regulations.

HAWK21M

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:45 am

Normally the smart move is.....Flt ops move the crew to the hotel & activate the rest period.Giving the crew a wake up call 1-2 hrs prior to Rescheduled departure depending on the location of the Hotel from the Airport.

This decision is based on the type of snag, time for spares to arrive & rectification....Maintenance will give an approx to facilitate this.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

citationjet

Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 6):
If you're referring to the ICAO Annexes, those are only recommendations. It's up to each country to either adopt the ICAO standards or issue their own regulations which often have many differences from the ICAO Annexes. And, of course, any operator from that country may choose to apply more restrictive rules than required by the regulations.

It is probably in the pilot's union contract, which may be even more restrictive.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.