flanker
Topic Author

Stabilator Question For The Gurus

Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:59 pm

I am tasked with finding out what a stabilator is and I don't mean the CONTROL SURFACE that everyone is familiar with, but something like a FLIGHT INSTRUMENT from the early days of aviation, say the 20's.

I have done some google searches but everything always pops up as the control surface.

I asked some mechanics as well and they can't recall such a thing.

Can anyone help me out? I figure there are thousands of years of combined experience here on the website, someone is surely going to know.

Thanks!
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

tdscanuck

RE: Stabilator Question For The Gurus

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:15 pm

Quoting flanker (Thread starter):
I am tasked with finding out what a stabilator is and I don't mean the CONTROL SURFACE that everyone is familiar with, but something like a FLIGHT INSTRUMENT from the early days of aviation, say the 20's.

What's the source that's asking? In other words, what's the context for referring to a stabilator that *doesn't* mean the control surface?

The closest thing I know about is a flight display to show stabilator position, but that probably isn't what you're talking about.

Tom.

akiss20

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:23 am

This is a real WAG, but could it be something related to an AOA sensor? AOA sensor sorta looks like a mini stabilator...
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

zeke

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:51 am

Quoting flanker (Thread starter):

The early Sperry autopilots were called a gyro stabiliser apparatus, early flight article http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1915/1915%20-%200075.html
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

737tdi

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:37 pm

I am thinking that the question is about floats and hulls. I.E. Seaplanes. I have zero experience with seaplanes but something here rings a bell. Of course this isn't a flight instrument but if we are talking "20s" float and seaplanes were the plane of the day. Just a guess.