PHX787
Topic Author

ATTN: Flight Attendants: Friend Wants This Career

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:09 am

Hello all!

This thread is primarily directed towards flight attendants.

One of my newer Japanese friends who recently came to ASU to study English is interested in becoming a flight attendant. We always discuss aviation but it seems like she knows little about what could happen in her job. Her major is International Relations, but in Japanese universities, such a degree is very versatile in leading to different careers.

She has given me a number of questions which she wants to know. Also, anyone else can add anything or give her hints, that would be welcome.

OK, her questions:
1) In a flight attendant Job, what do you typically do? (Basically, what she wants to know here is a basic job description. Also, anything that is normally not seen by the typical traveler is something she should know)

2) What should flight attendants be careful about? (Basically, on-the-job issues, other possible problems that could arise on the job, etc etc)

3) What are the personal characteristics that are needed in a flight attendant?

4) Is this job worthwhile to you? Do you think you made the right career choice? If you could go back to school and go into a different career, would you?

5) To be a flight attendant, what should she do now, while a student?

Just some background on her- she's rather shy, quiet, 21 years old, sophomore in college. She's always friendly once she opens up.

I welcome any and all contributions to help out my friend, and maybe soon, I can convince her to join the site  

Regards,
PHX787
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

doug_or

RE: ATTN: Flight Attendants: Friend Wants This Career

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:44 am

I can't speak for International carriers, but if she's trying to get a job flying in the US it shouldn't matter much what she studies (outside of languages, those always help). The biggest thing would be making sure she has some customer service experience. If shes looking to find work back home I have no idea about that.

Quoting PHX787 (Thread starter):
5) To be a flight attendant, what should she do now, while a student?
When in doubt, one B pump off

stratosphere

RE: ATTN: Flight Attendants: Friend Wants This Career

Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:18 am

Not a flight attendant but I do know the airlines put a premium on being bi-lingual that could be in her favor if she has a good command of English as well.