donohuep
Topic Author

Tools Used In A,B,C,D Checks

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:01 pm

I understand that not everyone performs the letter checks the same way, but the tools they use for the work under each check should be similar. Right? What types of tools (screw drivers, strippers, crimpers, air drills, etc.) are used for each letter check?

fr8mech

RE: Tools Used In A,B,C,D Checks

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

The same tools that are used in line maintenance. The same hand tools that remove a flight deck seat on the line will remove a flight deck seat in a check.

Now, when you get into heavy checks, you will be using specific tools or equipment to remove, replace and rig/adj. the component replaced.

These tools can be general (slings, hoists, shackles, etc.) or specialized (rigging bars, protractors, electronic testers, rig pins, etc.).
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

donohuep
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:35 pm

Thank you fr8mech Every other thread has discussed the time/intervals of the checks but none have actually gone into the detail of what each check requires. I think if I knew what the checks consist of then I would have an idea of what tools are most commonly used.

roseflyer

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:50 pm

The manufacture establishes the basis of the maintenance program and also all the equipment necessary. There is some highly specialized tooling to accomplish some of the heavy check maintenance procedures. For example replacing a jackscrew requires special tooling and virtually requires a hangar.

It's hard to get into what is required unless you have the maintenance manual.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

donohuep
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:57 pm

I just wanted a general idea on a really common aircraft like a 737 or a A320 but it looks like it gets complex and I would have to take a look at a maintenance manual to even get a general sense. Thank you Roseflyer!

strfyr51

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:53 pm

there are very few special tools used for Airliner servicing. each mechanics tool box should contain wrenches from 1/4" thru 1",sockets from 1/4 thru 1" deep amd shallow, pliers, Dikes, Safety wire pliers, feeler gauges, a number if screw drivers both Straight and Phillips, I also have Mac angle 15-60 wrenches, Universal sockets (snap on) 1/4 ,3/8 and 1/2" socket and ratchets 1"-21/2" Bonny wrenches. Torque wrenches, Mirrors Fingers flashlights, and a number of other specialty tools I've made over the last 43 Years Sears has a very nice list of Aircraft mechanic tool list as does Snap On, Mac, or Matco .Buy Good Tools right of the bat and you won't buy them but Once. Buy cheap tools and you'll Never finish buying tools The Craftsman tools by sears are OK to start with but the Matte finish tools lose chrome plating over time. the Pro series tools though a little more expensive will last a lifetime. Sears Universal sockets and Mac universal sockets will break over time, I own Snap on and I've never had one break, EVER.

tdscanuck

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:10 am

Quoting donohuep (Reply 2):
I think if I knew what the checks consist of then I would have an idea of what tools are most commonly used.

As Roseflyer said, it depends a lot on the specific procedures. But, in general, a heavy check is going to consist of:
-Remove all the access panels on everything
-Replace all the consumables (filters, etc.)
-Visually inspect everything
-NDT significant structural members
-Check the rig of all movable bits
-Put everything back together
-Functionally check everything

Tom.

m1m2

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:43 am

In C checks the borescope is often used to look inside ailerons and elevators to see what isn't visible any other way. Sometimes the flight control is removed and sometimes you can accomplish this with it still installed, depends on how hard it is to access.

HAWK21M

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:20 am

The tool list for the check at hand will list out the needed tools for that check in progress.......stores will ensure the same are available,calibrated serviceable for use.
This could mean Torque wrenches, measuring equipment, special sized tools, hoisting equipment, rigging equipment etc.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

donohuep
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:20 pm

Thank you everyone   This is great information!