harrystanhope

Different Take Off Weight Limit

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:28 pm

I am going to get my endorsement on an Aerocommander AC500S shortly and I noticed in the flight manual it gives a different max take off weight for IFR.

The MTOW is less for IFR than VFR, why would it be less?

The only thing I can think of is to do with penetration speeds but wouldn't it be better to be heavier and have a higher speed?

Thanks

CaptCufflinks

RE: Different Take Off Weight Limit

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:42 pm

I don't know enough about the type to make an authoritative statement, but the first thing that came to mind was simply maneuvering speeds and rate of climb.

Instrument departures under IFR can have climb performance requirements associated with them, perhaps at the VFR MTOW, climb performance is degraded to a point that is unsuitable.

I'm not sure I follow your point about penetration speeds. Rough air is penetrated under VFR too?

zeke

RE: Different Take Off Weight Limit

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Quoting HarryStanhope (Thread starter):

Sounds like CAO 20.7.4 paragraph 8 requirement.

8.1 Multi-engined aeroplanes engaged in charter operations under the Instrument Flight Rules or aerial work operations under the Instrument Flight Rules must have the ability to climb with a critical engine inoperative at a gradient of 1% at all heights up to 5 000 feet in the standard atmosphere in the following configuration:
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar