bueb0g
Topic Author

Rnav And Autopilot Use

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:55 am

I've heard a lot about RNAV departures and approaches, and having to use the AP to fly them - this seems a little OTT to me, and I've also seen people who say it's fine to do it with AP off and FD on. So is the AP requirement an airline SOP then? And with those airlines that require AP flown RNAV approaches/departures (with AP on at 500ft etc), surely you can take the AP off when you're established on final app?
Roger roger, what's our vector, victor?

tdscanuck

RE: Rnav And Autopilot Use

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Quoting bueb0g (Thread starter):
So is the AP requirement an airline SOP then?

If the requirement exists, yes, it's an airline requirement. There is no technical reason you need to fly RNAV with the AP. As long as the pilot is capable of following the flight director the result is the same with or without the AP.

Quoting bueb0g (Thread starter):
And with those airlines that require AP flown RNAV approaches/departures (with AP on at 500ft etc), surely you can take the AP off when you're established on final app?

You have to take the AP off unless you have autoland. Even if you do have autoland, there is no technical/regulatory requirement that you use it. It's up to the airline SOPs and the flight crew.

Tom.

bueb0g
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Simple answer then, and I suspected as much. Many thanks Tom, you're always a big help.
Roger roger, what's our vector, victor?

IAHFLYR

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 1):
There is no technical reason you need to fly RNAV with the AP. As long as the pilot is capable of following the flight director the result is the same with or without the AP.

Adding to what Tom mentions, there are some procedures particularly at airports capable of conducting simultaneous approaches where the chart note does reference that you must use either AP or FD for track containment.

http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1301/05461RRY27.PDF
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.