chuchoteur
Topic Author

ANA 787 Evac - Door 4L

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Just noticed on the pictures of the ANA 787 evacuation that door 4L was not used (door closed - slide not deployed).
Do they run reduced crews on domestic flights?

According to the videos shot by passengers this definitely didn't seem to cause any issues with the speed of the evacuation.

rcair1
Crew

RE: ANA 787 Evac - Door 4L

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:12 am

The a/c did not have a full load - may have been no need to open it.
rcair1

bohica

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:28 am

Quoting chuchoteur (Thread starter):

Airplanes are certified to be evacuated with only 1/2 the available exits. The 787 was evacuated using 7 of the 8 doors available and it wasn't a full load so it shouldn't take too long to evacuate.

I'm speculating about the following: Passengers have a natural tendency to go forward to exit an airplane. While in their seats, they see the exit signs ahead of them so it is in their minds (even subconsciously) that the doors ahead of them are the ones they will exit from. This will make the furthest aft doors the two least used doors in case of an evacuation. During the evacuation of the ANA 787 there were probably not enough passengers to warrant opening door 4L as everyone that went back to evacuate used door 4R.

chuchoteur
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Quoting bohica (Reply 2):
During the evacuation of the ANA 787 there were probably not enough passengers to warrant opening door 4L as everyone that went back to evacuate used door 4R.

In theory if you have a F/A at each door (I believe that all 8 doors are "manned"), then I suppose that all doors/chutes should have been activated by their local F/A, regardless of pax flows forward/back. Since the slide is not deployed and the door is still shut it does not appear to be a malfunction, hence my question about whether they run reduced F/A numbers on domestic flights (i.e. only one at the back), given the light load factor on the flight at that time of day.

As mentioned, the evacuation was timely (and very orderly), so no problems there...