United727
Topic Author

Tech Question About "rigging" A Broken Plane

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:18 am

OK...First things first, If a planes main wings were sawed off, how many pneumatic, hydraulic and electrical connections might there be on an old jetliner that would have to be plugged or capped, on each side, in order for the ships systems to come back on-line...specifically pneumatic and electrical. For the moment, I don't beleive hydro will be necessary for the time being.

Second, Since FAA regs would not apply, could standard "8d" HD Motor Vehicle Batteries be rigged to provide the 28V necessary to power up the aircraft.

Third, Any ideas on how to rig a makeshift fuel system when the tanks are no longer an option.

Type: BAC 1-11-100

Starlionblue

RE: Tech Question About "rigging" A Broken Plane

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:54 am

Quoting United727 (Thread starter):
Since FAA regs would not apply, could standard "8d" HD Motor Vehicle Batteries be rigged to provide the 28V necessary to power up the aircraft.

Just some general thoughts.

Since you're not worried about regs I'd say 28V is 28V. But batteries can't power an airplane for very long, and you could only power up a very limited number of systems due to limited capacity. So I guess it depends what bits exactly you are powering and what kind of timescale you are looking at. Unless you had a shedload of batteries of course.

There's also the issue that some buses may not be powerable by batteries at all, for example generator buses.

I think some sort of portable generator would be a better option. Or start up an engine and use that generator. Is this the plan? If you're down to batteries in a plane it's pretty much "shed as much load as possible and land ASAP" (unless you're in a glider).
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

United727
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:09 am

The idea is to get the system stabile and get the APU running and then work from there!

Starlionblue

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:22 am

Quoting United727 (Reply 2):
The idea is to get the system stabile and get the APU running and then work from there!

Sounds pretty awesome. 

Car battery shouldn't be a problem then. The system doesn't know if the battery is certified or not.   Just a question about how many you need. How many amps do you need to start the APU?

Once you have the APU going you should have enough power for most things I would think. You're not going to be cycling the gear or flaps and those (well, their pumps) tend to be the big hogs.

Question though, will you be able to power the pneumatics with through the APU? Guessing it has its own bleed air output so the engines can be started but can it run anything else?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

United727
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:38 am

Exactly, need bleed air from APU to do dry test start on the RR Spays (2). Need APU running to find leaks in system after wings were cut to get complete air charge for HP Air Start.

Question two: How much JETA will the normal APU use per hour?

@Starlionblue - Wish I had you here to help! Confucious say project very, very complicated  Smile

[Edited 2013-01-17 22:40:24]

Starlionblue

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:45 am

Quoting United727 (Reply 4):
Question two: How much JETA will the normal APU use per hour?

For that size aircraft, I'd guess somewhere in the region of 200lb per hour, but it varies with the load.

@Starlionblue - Wish I had you here to help! Confucious say project very, very complicated  

While I appreciate the confidence, I only have high level theoretical knowledge. You need someone with nuts and bolts experience. Would be fun though!

RR Spays

"Spey", named after a river like most RR engines. Spaying should be avoided.