caribb
Topic Author

OLED's On Aircraft Fuselages

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:31 am

Seeing how OLED lighting is becoming thinner and more widely used I was wondering if anyone thinks eventually it will be used to light up exterior sections of aircraft fuselages: The airline's titles and logo, the outline of the exits and perhaps the tail logo? I could see some safety uses for them as well as good marketing opportunities that would work well when the aircraft is in darkness. Is this even a possibility at all?

http://www.gereports.com/thin-gets-t...self-powered-bendable-oled-lights/

BMI727

RE: OLED's On Aircraft Fuselages

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:41 am

Quoting caribb (Thread starter):
Is this even a possibility at all?

Perhaps very limited, illuminating titles for example.

Other than that, there are still drawbacks. They add weight, require wiring, and would either have to be integrated into the fuselage structure itself or, more likely, add drag by being stuck on the outside.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

caribb
Topic Author

RE: OLED's On Aircraft Fuselages

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:53 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 1):
Other than that, there are still drawbacks. They add weight, require wiring, and would either have to be integrated into the fuselage structure itself or, more likely, add drag by being stuck on the outside.

In the link i added they stated: "GE is teaming up with the makers of printable, paper-thin batteries to create self-powered OLEDs with the battery integrated into the thin light element itself.” So in theory in the future the OLED's could be integrated into the decal (Titles/Logo) and self powered.. especially if it is truely paper thin. It would then only be a step to make the decal to outline the doors and emergency exits and illuminat them at night or if there is an accident to alert emergency workers to the aircraft etc.. I'm Just speculating...