scottpilgrim
Topic Author

Golden Triangle Sticker Aboard CX A343

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:54 pm

A few weeks ago I flew CX531 from Taipei to Hong Kong. As I was leaving the A340-300 I noticed a golden, triangular sticker above the left window of a particular row. I looked across the aisle to the right hand side of the aircraft and saw the same sticker above the window of the same row. They appeared only in that particular row but not others. Wondering what function these stickers serve?

anstar

RE: Golden Triangle Sticker Aboard CX A343

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:13 pm

They indicate the best position for the flight crew to see the leading edge and trailing edge of the wing.

Senchingo

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 pm

anstar's reply does make sense indeed. Any other airlines marking this position?

My first thought was it would mark some kind of emergency exit, i.e. where the window could be broken with the emergency equipment or so.
Saw a similar marking in Japan, where windows in big buildings are marked for this reason:
http://www.chiikikagaku.co.jp/nippon/articles/image/230.jpg

Viscount724

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:00 am

Quoting Senchingo (Reply 2):
anstar's reply does make sense indeed. Any other airlines marking this position?

It's very common. I've seen that arrow on dozens of Airbus aircraft. Can't remember whether there's anything similar on Boeing aircraft.

Starlionblue

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:08 am

Quoting Senchingo (Reply 2):
My first thought was it would mark some kind of emergency exit, i.e. where the window could be broken with the emergency equipment or so.

Nah. That's what emergency exits are for. Anywhere else you'd need some sort of cutting equipment. Many planes have outside markings for that purpose though.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

bohica

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:55 am

Quoting anstar (Reply 1):
They indicate the best position for the flight crew to see the leading edge and trailing edge of the wing.

Let me add that it is the best position to inspect the wings for snow and ice.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 3):
It's very common. I've seen that arrow on dozens of Airbus aircraft. Can't remember whether there's anything similar on Boeing aircraft.

I can't say I've seen any markings on a Boeing aircraft. Then again there might be a marking somewhere that is less noticeable than the airbus markings. The next time I am on a flight on a Boeing I'll have to look around to see if I can see anything.

longhauler

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:11 am

That is partially correct. The triangles indicate the location of the leading and trailing edges of the wing. However ... that is not known to flight crew, as it is not indicated anywhere in the Flight Crew Operating Manual. So, as it is not "known" to the pilots, I have never known the use of these indicators, and have often wondered their use.

Quoting bohica (Reply 5):
Let me add that it is the best position to inspect the wings for snow and ice.

The best position would be ahead of the aft triangle, as the condition of the spoilers is especially important. On days where one would not think ice to be a factor, the spoilers can be "frosted" and that frost must be removed.

This picture shows the forward and aft triangles.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

glen

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:15 am

Quoting scottpilgrim (Thread starter):
Wondering what function these stickers serve?

It's not for the best but the correct position to read the flap/slat position indicators.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Fritz

If you look through another window then the one with the triangle the markings won't fit due to parallax error as seen on this picture:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thomas Bloder-SpotterTeamLOWI

As far as I know all Airbus have these markings on the wing and at the corresponding windows.
"The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view." - Albert Einstein

HAWK21M

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:04 pm

Wouldn't the AMM list these markings.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

LimaFoxTango

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:36 pm

I've seen these things in B6 A320's and always wondered what those were for. Would never have imagine it's for reading something outside!
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.