HermansCVR580
Topic Author

Airline In House Fueling VS Contract Fueling

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:46 pm

I know in years past many airlines at their larger stations did their own fueling of aircraft. United, American, Southwest, TWA come to mind that had their own in house fueling department. The trend over the past years has seen the in house fueling contracted out to 3rd party vendors ie ASIG, Swissport, Skytanking. I was wondering if any airlines here in the US still do their own fueling of aircraft? I swear I saw a Southwest fuel tanker in DAL and then again in ELP so maybe SW still does their own still?

[Edited 2013-02-07 06:44:54]
The right decision at the wrong time, is still a wrong decision. "Hal Carr"

Woodreau

RE: Airline In House Fueling VS Contract Fueling

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:30 pm

AA does their own fueling in Tulsa.

Well the fuel truck has AA plastered all over it.

[Edited 2013-02-07 07:32:30]
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

fuelfool

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:04 pm

FX fuels their own planes in MEM. However, their tanks are managed by a 3rd party.
I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning...Smells like victory!

FlyDeltaJets

Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:18 am

DL does fueling at SAV, well DGS which is part of Delta. DL also maintains the fuel farm at ATL. I believe AA maintains a fuel farm at ORD as well.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

dlramp4life

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:21 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 3):

I did not know DGS fueled planes
http://deltaglobalaviation.com/products.html

I know Regional Elite fueled aircraft.

Now why would DL or AA own and maintain a fuel farm? I know ASIG runs LAX FUEL and Swissport runs the PHX farm but would an airline own a fuel farm when they are not providing the fuel?
SEA Ramp, wettest place on earth

HermansCVR580
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:09 pm

I know Northwest used to do their own fueling, because the company I worked for had some of their old trucks. A lot of times at the larger airports a consortium is formed and the fuel farm is ran by a 3rd party but owned by the airlines in the consortium.

CrimsonNL

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:38 pm

KLM has their own fuelling company at AMS. They do offer fueling contracts to other airlines, but as far as I know they only sell fuel from supplier Shell. If another airline at AMS wants another fuel supplier, i.e. AirBP or Total or whatever, they will have to contract a third party fuel company (of which AMS has two) that will pump the fuel for the suppliers.

Whats even more interesting is that the actual fuel flow (and I think all stores as well) is all the same and is pooled by the suppliers.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

copter808

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:27 pm

CO used to do their own fueling at ORD but contracted it out after new regulations required more training and recordkeeping. The fuel farm was owned by the City, hydrant trucks owned by a contractor and operated by CO employees.

FlyDeltaJets

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:01 am

Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 4):
Now why would DL or AA own and maintain a fuel farm? I know ASIG runs LAX FUEL and Swissport runs the PHX farm but would an airline own a fuel farm when they are not providing the fuel?

Because you can pay a contractor a flat fee per plane fueled rather than paying per gallon pumped.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

DarkSnowyNight

Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:32 pm

Quoting HermansCVR580 (Thread starter):
I swear I saw a Southwest fuel tanker in DAL and then again in ELP so maybe SW still does their own still?

Can't speak for ELP, but I know that Skytanking has been doing WN at DAL for a while now.
You Sir, are a very funny lady.

HermansCVR580
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:59 pm

From what I have researched it seems that SkyTanking took over the in house fueling from Southwest at a number of stations where Southwest was doing their own fueling. Not sure about MDW but I know Southwest does/did their own fueling there too.

airportugal310

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:26 am

HA does all its own fuel in HNL, only.
Every other station is done by a 3rd party as mentioned above.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

surfpunk

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:17 pm

Not sure when NW stopped doing their own fueling, but MSP was 3rd-party back in the late-80s, early 90s, when I worked for Butler Aviation (became Signature FS after the merger with Page AvJet). MSP fueling was done through a consortium at the Lindbergh Terminal (now Terminal 1). We provided fueling services for all airlines at Lindbergh, with the exception of the commuter stuff (Mesaba, Great Lakes, etc). This was long before the commuter terminal was built (Concourses A and B).

swa4life

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm not aware of Southwest doing any of their own fueling in any of the stations. Are you certain you've seen Southwest personnel fueling?

HermansCVR580
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Well I cannot say for certain that Southwest had done their own fueling in the past, but the trucks were painted in their colors.