cambridgeflyer1
Topic Author

British Airways Technical Issues...

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:52 pm

So I have been looking on www.thebasource.com and I have been really quite surprised by what appears to be a high amount of technical issues on recent BA flights. I know BA have a relatively old fleet with some of the 767s and 747s nearing 20 years old, but isn't this a high amount, or am I just over thinking it?

Obviously BA are renowned for having a good safety record, only having one plane (G-YMMM) written off with no fatalities, but these problems have got to be costing them.

Jamie.

FlyCaledonian

RE: British Airways Technical Issues...

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Quoting cambridgeflyer1 (Thread starter):
So I have been looking on www.thebasource.com and I have been really quite surprised by what appears to be a high amount of technical issues on recent BA flights.

Thething is that site highlights pretty much any issue affecting BA. If it didn't exist would we be aware of the majority of these? Are they any different to what any other airline suffers?

Following the bmi takeover BA probably has some slack in the shorthaul fleet for the coming Summer. It would hope to finally gain the same with the longhaul fleet with the A380s and 787s arriving this Summer. However, I suspect BA is already expecting the 787s later than planned, so the start of the 767 retirements will be deferred. Whether this will necessitate some additional maintenance on the birds will have to be seen (e.g. is one of the first aircraft to be retired coming due a 'D' check?).
Let's Go British Caledonian!

musapapaya

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:49 pm

It is true that BA's got some old 744s and 767s around, and their age is growing older and olfer. BA is not LH so we cannot expect as much reliability, those Germans keep their old 744s look like new.
Lufthansa Group of Airlines

Fabo

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Quoting cambridgeflyer1 (Thread starter):
what appears to be a high amount of technical issues on recent BA flights.

Does not seem so to me. Remember this is a rather large airline and aircraft are complicated, means something small will almost always go wrong.

It just seems high because you have no frame of reference.
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT