flflyer
Topic Author

Silver Airways Saab 340s Noise Reduction

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:29 pm

With Silver Airways Saab 340s, what does it mean on their website:"an active noise reduction system".?

FoxBravo

RE: Silver Airways Saab 340s Noise Reduction

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:16 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_noise_control

Same concept as the headphones (by Bose and others) that are popular with frequent fliers. The Q400 and newer ATRs have the same feature.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

flightsimer

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:29 pm

You have two types of noise reduction, passive and active. The below is just a basic understanding, I'm sure someone else will have the specifics to the Saab's system.

Passive noise reduction is a physical action such as using sound absorbing material or vibration dampeners

Active noise reduction does not rely on physical noise reduction like passive but instead uses opposite sounds to reduce sounds. So with an active noise system, their will be microphones placed throughout the cabin and fuselage which will measure the sounds being heard from the engines, props, airflow, etc. The system will then send out sounds that are the exact opposite of the sounds being generated by the engines, props, airflow, etc which are supposed to cancel out the sounds.

The problem with the active systems is that they break down, often ( at least the older systems did) whereas with passive noise reduction, it's always working and requires little to no maintenance. The King Air family used to have active noise canceling for while, until Beechcraft decided to replace it with a passive system because of the countless issues with the active system. The Q series is also seems to have lots of issues with its active noise canceling based on posts here of people always complaining about it.
Commercial Pilot- SEL, MEL, Instrument

LimaFoxTango

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 1):
Same concept as the headphones (by Bose and others) that are popular with frequent fliers. The Q400 and newer ATRs have the same feature.

The ATR's do not have this feature.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

FoxBravo

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 3):
The ATR's do not have this feature.

You're right, my mistake. ATRs have only passive noise dampeners. I guess I always thought they had active noise reduction too since I haven't noticed much difference in cabin noise between the -500 series and the Q400. Interesting--thanks.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire