Geezer
Topic Author

Replacing MLG Wheel "in Flight", 1920's

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:10 pm

A very strange story; I can't think of anyplace other than tech / ops to put it; this old video, (shot in the 1920's) shows a female "wing-walker", one Gladys Ingles, replacing a wheel that had fallen off, in flight.

http://www.flixxy.com/mid-air-airplane-repair.htm

Ingles is shown with a replacement wheel being strapped to her back; In the film, Ingles transfers herself from the rescue plane to the one missing the main landing gear tire; she then works herself down to the undercarriage where she "installs" the new wheel.

She died at age 82.

Notice to Moderators; this is NOT copied and pasted; The only thing copied is the link.
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

cornutt

RE: Replacing MLG Wheel "in Flight", 1920's

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Damn. I've read that some of the pre-WWII aircraft had tunnels through the wings that allowed an onboard mechanic to access and service the engines in flight.

Geezer
Topic Author

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Quoting cornutt (Reply 1):
Damn. I've read that some of the pre-WWII aircraft had tunnels through the wings that allowed an onboard mechanic to access and service the engines in flight.

You were probably reading about the B-36 Peacemaker; I have spoken with several people who performed in-flight maintenance on them. If you ever take a trip to Dayton, you can see a B-36 "up close", and when you see the size of it's wings, you'll understand why this was possible; ( from what I've been told, it was a pretty noisy place to work! )

BTW.........the B-36 was "post" WW 2; the only thing I can think of during WW 2 that even started to have wings that big, was the B-19, and only 1 or 2 of them were ever built; if I'm not mistaken, only one of them ever flew.
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Francoflier

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:54 am

Quoting Geezer (Reply 2):
the only thing I can think of during WW 2 that even started to have wings that big, was the B-19, and only 1 or 2 of them were ever built; if I'm not mistaken, only one of them ever flew.

I believe some of the between-war era floatplanes (Clippers) had very thick wings with walk-in or crawl-in abilities, as well as inflight engine maintenance.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

dkswim

Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:16 am

dont forget about blimps

rwessel

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:50 am

Quoting dkswim (Reply 4):
dont forget about blimps

ITYM airships. You usually cannot enter the "balloon" part of a blimp, and engines on a non-rigid airship are usually mounted on the gondola.

BE77

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:58 pm

The Martin Mars allows access to the engines in the wing as well...must be four feet of space in there.
When touring at Sproat Lake a few years ago,, we were told that cylinders would be replaced if needed on the way to Guam when they were in their first life.
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

DiamondFlyer

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Quoting rwessel (Reply 5):
You usually cannot enter the "balloon" part of a blimp, and engines on a non-rigid airship are usually mounted on the gondola.

Sure you can, just not in flight. But yes, I think he did mean the old rigids, as they could get basically anywhere in the ship at any time.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

speedygonzales

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Quoting dkswim (Reply 4):
dont forget about blimps

Zeppelins, not blimps.
Las Malvinas son Argentinas

flyingturtle

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:08 pm

My memory must be very flaky, but I somehow remember a picture from a (Russian-made?) airliner that featured an open viewing platform at the back... sort of a balcony.    

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

DiamondFlyer

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:22 pm

Quoting speedygonzales (Reply 8):
Zeppelins, not blimps.

Again, not just zeppelins, but rigid airships. Zeppelin is a specific manufacture, rigid airship is what they built.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

MD11Engineer

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:01 pm

In 1928, during the LZ-127 Graf Zeppelin´s first Atlantic crossing 25 feet of fabric got torn away from the lower side of the lefthand horizontal stabilizer, threatening to foul the rudder. Four crewmembers volunteered to climb outside to cut away the damaged fabric and to jury repair the stabilizer framework:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5uHfUqugf88/Skg4fUHBhvI/AAAAAAAAAy4/fjIodeyNIzg/s1600/Fin%2Brepair%2Bon%2BGraf.jpg

Similarly during the round-the-world trip by the airship, the outer hull got damaged over the South Atlantic in 1933.
With the engines stopped and the airship drifting, the riggers went topside and repaired the damage:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5uHfUqugf88/Skg5rLLDnNI/AAAAAAAAAzI/koURYp0SIdk/s1600/hull%2Brepair%2Bon%2BGraf2.jpg

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi