TK773
Topic Author

LH 320 E-taxi (Electric Motors On MLGs)

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:28 am

Hello all,

I am a new member to Airliners.net, and this is my first post. I did a search on the past forums, with no avail on this topic. I thought it would be interesting to share.

Though the article is old (dated December, 2011) I was wondering if there are any updates on this project? With airlines squeezed by ever-rising fuel prices, could this soon be a possible solution to taxi to the runway in order to save on fuel? Can it justify the cost-beneficiaries of the added weight of electric motors? From the tests conducted, it seems as though the pilots were very happy with its responsiveness.

Here is the link:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...g-with-e-taxi-demonstrator-365815/

Enjoy!

TK773

glbltrvlr

RE: LH 320 E-taxi (Electric Motors On MLGs)

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:04 am

You can find a reasonably current summary of e-taxi developments here: http://www.airtrafficmanagement.net/2013/03/hail-and-ride/

The biggest problem is economics. As you've noted, the weight and cost of fitting such a system is a pretty severe penalty. Engines require a minimum run time in the neighborhood of 3 minutes prior to takeoff which limits the situations where etaxi helps, plus the extra weight applies to all flight time, which means extra fuel burn.

From a purely economic perspective, it would seem that a battery powered tug, possibly remote controlled from the cockpit would make the most sense, but there are other factors that come into play.

FlyDeltaJets

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:20 am

Quoting glbltrvlr (Reply 1):
takeoff which limits the situations where etaxi helps

I don't think it would be that limited. More than half of JetBlue flights would surely benefit from a no-engine taxi in the JFK conga line.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

TK773
Topic Author

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:45 pm

Quoting glbltrvlr (Reply 1):

Thank you for your link and ideas glbltrvlr  

EMBQA

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:26 pm

No it would not work. The added weight of the motors alone would be astronomical.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

IFixPlanes

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:19 am

There is a difference between these 2 versions.
The system installed at the Germania A/C only replace the tug. No other function - so it is additional weight.
The system Lufthansa (together with L-3) is going to develop - 2 regular brakes are replaced by 2 electric motors which can be used to replace the tug during ground maneuvers AND they will be used as a brake during landing.
never tell an engineer he is wrong ;-)

B6JFKH81

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 2):
More than half of JetBlue flights would surely benefit from a no-engine taxi in the JFK conga line.

Not as much anymore. With the way things have changed at JFK, you don't even push back from the gate to get into the "conga line" that often anymore....even in IROPS. The last flight I had to take was during really nasty weather and departing during the morning rush at JFK, we were held at the gate for 20 minutes after boarding was completely done (no technical issue or anything, it was just a gate hold). When we pushed back and started up, I was surprised to hear both engines crank. It was a 3 minute taxi to 22R and we were off. A few years ago, it would have taken 20+ minutes in those conditions to taxi out. Now, they just hold you at the gate quite often. Last summer there were still some nasty "conga lines" when t-storms rolled through during the afternoon rush hours though...but not as bad as previous years.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

cornutt

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:31 pm

How would air conditioning be provided while on electric taxi? I'd hate to be stuck in the line at ATL in July without any air conditioning.

B6JFKH81

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Quoting cornutt (Reply 7):
How would air conditioning be provided while on electric taxi? I'd hate to be stuck in the line at ATL in July without any air conditioning.

The same way it is provided when you are at the gate without a GPU....the APU is running to provide the power.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

FlyDeltaJets

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:06 am

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 6):
Not as much anymore. With the way things have changed at JFK, you don't even push back from the gate to get into the "conga line" that often anymore....even in IROPS.

There is a conga line every night from about 7P - 9P, the morning never really had too bad of a push line until maybe around 9a and it only was for about an hour.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts