KBJCpilot
Topic Author

Skywest Ramp Agent- What About It?

Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 pm

My son has applied for and has been offered a position in Denver as a Ramp Agent for OO. I'm wondering what he daily routine will be like and if he needs any special clothing, work boots, etc., before he starts in June.

What is good and what is tough about his new position? Any suggestions for a new guy?

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thanks.
Samsonite, I was way off!

FlyASAGuy2005

RE: Skywest Ramp Agent- What About It?

Tue May 21, 2013 1:53 am

This will all be laid out in training.

Most to everything can/will be had from the OO company store. I know when I was at EV our clothing came out of our paycheck. Most mainline carriers cover your uniforms up to a certain amount every year. Standard fair are steel-toe boots/sneakers vest (provided by the company) and a hat because it's hot as blazes out there in the summer. Especially in Denver.

Knee pads are common but not if he's only working RJs. On mainline you will wish you had them. Being so junior, he's be anywhere from in the bagroom loading carts to be taken out to the a/c or in the very hot bins stacking the bags. And everything else in between. Pretty standard stuff.
What gets measured gets done.

N353SK

Tue May 21, 2013 2:25 am

All I can add is that the Skywest rampers had their pay rates cut a few months ago and they're not too happy about it.

SXDFC

Tue May 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 1):
Knee pads are common but not if he's only working RJs. On mainline you will wish you had them.

I work on the 737 and knee pads are defiantly a must, however what RJs would he not need them on? I've always wondered how one would fit in those small fwd CRJ bins.. Lastly what do the "bins" look like in a RJ?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

mhkansan

Tue May 21, 2013 10:41 pm

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 3):
I work on the 737 and knee pads are defiantly a must, however what RJs would he not need them on? I've always wondered how one would fit in those small fwd CRJ bins.. Lastly what do the "bins" look like in a RJ?

Ah, you've never been up in an ERJ? You can stand up in them, and they're fantastic!

On the newer CRJs, the -700 series and above, there is a small forward bin "C3." It is accessible from the ramp, and there is no need to climb inside. When the bin is empty, one loads bags onto the first section, and then the entire bin floor slides forward or aft into the aircraft allowing the space the be refilled with more bags. This is often where valet bags and other gate-check items are stored, there is generally more than enough room in the aft C4 compartment.

I've never been in the larger ERJ bins, but I'd imagine they can't be much smaller than what one might expect on an S80 or 737.

Goldenshield

Tue May 21, 2013 11:31 pm

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 3):
I've always wondered how one would fit in those small fwd CRJ bins.. Lastly what do the "bins" look like in a RJ?

The only time I'd ever think of someone climbing inside this bin is if there's an HR, which I've only heard of being done once (though, there may be other airlines that do it regularly!)

[Edited 2013-05-21 16:32:24]
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Aaron747

Wed May 22, 2013 12:04 am

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 3):
I've always wondered how one would fit in those small fwd CRJ bins.. Lastly what do the "bins" look like in a RJ?

The aft compartments have plenty of room for standing up in, less so on the -200 than the rather spacious -700.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed May 22, 2013 4:02 am

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 3):
however what RJs would he not need them on? I've always wondered how one would fit in those small fwd CRJ bins.. Lastly what do the "bins" look like in a RJ?

The only time we would get in the forward bin on the 700s and 900s is if there was no tray for whatever reason. You can load all the bags but getting them out is a different story. The aft bin on all the CRJs is large enough to stand in.

CRJ-200 Cargo Bin

This lady was sleeping LOL but you can see that the bin is quite roomy.

Taken several years back when I was working PT in Orlando.
What gets measured gets done.

dlramp4life

Wed May 22, 2013 7:55 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 7):
The only time we would get in the forward bin on the 700s and 900s is if there was no tray for whatever reason.

How can someone fit in those bins? They are quite small, I thought if the trays did not work the bin would be INOP
SEA Ramp, wettest place on earth

Sancho99504

Thu May 23, 2013 12:02 am

Quoting mhkansan (Reply 4):
I've never been in the larger ERJ bins, but I'd imagine they can't be much smaller than what one might expect on an S80 or 737.

The EJET bins a rough. narrower and shorter than the DC9/MD80/90..... Its a terrible place to be with a heavy load ORD-JFK.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

heathrow

Thu May 23, 2013 4:32 am

He will have intensive training which will layout all proper procedures, requirements, do's and don't's.

The good bit in my eyes is all the aircraft you get to work on. It's interesting to see the service side of things. Lots of different tasks being accomplished.

The bad would be the weather, and bag pulls. I also hate configuring the combi 732's for 5T, but OO doesn't have them (or UA for that matter)

He should make sure he has steel toe boots, and work gloves (high viz gloves can be used at some stations to marshal aircraft). He may want to get knee pads for being in the pits, but I don't know anyone on our ramp who has any.

Tell him to keep a change of clothes in his locker / car at all times, and be prepared for the winter weather when it comes.

atct

Fri May 24, 2013 3:49 am

Invest in a good set of Steel Toe boots (dont go cheap). If it rains a lot there, a set of yellow rain gear. Thats all I can think of. Ramping at Delta paid my way through college. Good character building as well.

ATCT
Delta
Pittsburgh 2003-2006
Trikes are for kids!