heathrow
Topic Author

Graffiti In Pits

Wed May 22, 2013 7:13 am

I've just recently started on the ramp, and have been studying many things over the past few weeks in training.

I understand we are supposed to report graffiti in the baggage holds of aircraft. I also understand that certain aircraft are completely covered in them.

My question is how frequently does this graffiti contain inappropriate statements? Today I read an expletive directed towards homosexuals, and I am curious if this is common find for other baggage handlers.

Appreciate response in advance.

dlramp4life

RE: Graffiti In Pits

Wed May 22, 2013 7:58 am

Depends on who owned the airplane beforehand. Alot of PMDL bins have pro union and anti union graffiti as well as DGS graffiti. I have seen some MD90s with chinese writing inside the bins.

Best I have seen was "Scuba Steve was here" inside a OO CR7.

But as for homosexual sayings, I have not seen any
SEA Ramp, wettest place on earth

Goldenshield

Wed May 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Back when I was ramping, there used to be a "comic" on the bins of various AA aircraft, usually featuring a rat, and was mainly commentary on union or company policies.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

atct

Thu May 23, 2013 12:08 am

We had graffiti in pretty much every bin at Delta. I know of people who would spend a lot of time drawing pretty extensive artwork inside the bins. "HB1" was in almost every bin on Comair and the Md88s, a guy from my station. "ScreaminEmu" was from the CLE station. "Beaver Feaver" was from PIT. "ChuckTownSouth was Here" from CHS. I wont go into more details but graffiti in the bins was commonplace at Delta.

atct
Trikes are for kids!

ak907

Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 am

I remember seeing messages to other stations, like "LAX sucks at loading", "JFK always messes up" and things like that. Usually pertaining to how boxes are stacked. I does kinda suck when the stuff you're suppose to offload is buried behind cargo that's going thru.

heathrow
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2013 3:43 am

Interesting to hear graffiti is quite common! I've yet to notice any on XE or 5T for that matter, but ZW seems to ALWAYS have at least something.

Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 1):

But as for homosexual sayings, I have not seen any

I wouldn't say "homosexual saying". More like "Are you gay? If yes, F*** you"

pilotpip

Thu May 23, 2013 6:07 am

Unfortunately, it happens. If you think it's bad in the pit, you should some of the stuff in the cockpit. Sometimes it's funny and lighthearted but more often than not it's down right offensive.
DMI

n901wa

Thu May 23, 2013 9:32 am

Funny, when I was a Mechanic we would find Graffiti in all kinds of places. The main reason I know is when it starts to get bad, we would get a mtc set up to clean it off   The Cockpit did use to be worst then the Cargo Pits. I swear behind some panels were some works of art   The FE panel on the 727 was always full of Pictures and writings.

airportugal310

Fri May 24, 2013 1:55 am

Quoting pilotpip (Reply 6):
If you think it's bad in the pit, you should some of the stuff in the cockpit. Sometimes it's funny and lighthearted but more often than not it's down right offensive.
Quoting n901wa (Reply 7):
The Cockpit did use to be worst then the Cargo Pits. I swear behind some panels were some works of art

Really?! Would never have guessed!

Tell us more!
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

pwm2txlhopper

Fri May 24, 2013 3:32 am

Use to see graffiti in every bin of Delta aircraft I worked as a ramp agent back in the day. Remember seeing lots of messages along the lines of "ATL will trade Ken to MEM for 10 gallons of used blue juice" (Just substitute and insert any station and name of an underperforming/incompetent ramp employee)

After a while, just for my own amusement I started carrying a black marker and would taly mark every aircraft I loaded bags onto. Always directly above the door in the aft cargo bay.

DarkSnowyNight

Fri May 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Quoting atct (Reply 3):
I know of people who would spend a lot of time drawing pretty extensive artwork inside the bins. "HB1" was in almost every bin on Comair and the Md88s, a guy from my station. "ScreaminEmu" was from the CLE station. "Beaver Feaver" was from PIT. "ChuckTownSouth was Here" from CHS. I wont go into more details but graffiti in the bins was commonplace at Delta.

Funny how you start to ID regulars after a while. Not a bin, but inside fuel panels was my personal favorite. Some guy (gal?) used to tag these with "No. 1 PigFukka!" quite a bit. The artwork was actually pretty elaborate at times.
You Sir, are a very funny lady.

KGRB

Fri May 24, 2013 6:29 pm

Quoting heathrow (Thread starter):
I understand we are supposed to report graffiti in the baggage holds of aircraft. I also understand that certain aircraft are completely covered in them.

Ha! If we did that at DL, we wouldn't have any time to work the flights.  
Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 1):
Depends on who owned the airplane beforehand. Alot of PMDL bins have pro union and anti union graffiti as well as DGS graffiti.

And Regional Elite graffiti before that. I know you don't get them in PHX, but 9E bins seem to be the worst. I don't know who "Joey from DTW" is, but he's famous in those aircraft.

Interestingly, I've found that the ExpressJet ERJ-145s on the UA side are usually pretty clean. Perhaps it's because those bins are so hard to stack that the rampers don't have any time for artwork? Haha
Flown on 9E/AA/AL/CP/DL/EV/HP/MQ/NW/PT/OO/OH/UA/US/XJ/YV/YX/ZW

goboeing

Sat May 25, 2013 3:37 am

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 8):
Really?! Would never have guessed!

Tell us more!

Sometime, I'll send you some pictures!

Max Q

Sat May 25, 2013 4:22 am

Graffiti is one thing but at Cal up until the early '90s most unused panels in the Cockpit had pictures of attractive females without 'unnecessary' clothing.

It all ended when a female Pilot sued the Airline for sexual harassment in the workplace.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.