a340crew

Finnair Hiring Flight Attendants For JFK Base

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:34 am

Finnair (through a staffing agency) is hiring flight attendants for a JFK base. Presumably these will be americans. Does anyone have any info on this? It sounds very similar to when Aer Lingus had a short lived Washington flight attendant base during the UA madrid route. Why would Finnair be outsourcing these flight attendant jobs to american workers?

source.
http://www.adeccousa.com/jobs/hospit...1_020001_10320296/flight-attendant

[Edited 2013-06-28 22:35:13]

finnishway

RE: Finnair Hiring Flight Attendants For JFK Base

Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:37 am

They are outsourcing everything. Finnish workers are far away from cheap that is why they want to hire people from cheaper countries. I am not saying Americans are much cheaper, but it is probably easier and cheaper to hire American workers when they don't have to deal with so much burocracy.

[Edited 2013-06-28 23:39:39]

HELyes

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Also their Spanish and Asian flight attendants come from Adecco, the JFK route was a surprise, hard to see any big savings there...

The New York hotels are expensive though  

a340crew

Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:19 pm

Any idea if these JFK flight attendants will be employees of finnair (with finnair travel benefits) or will they be employees of Adecco (with no benefits)

matt

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:26 pm

I find it interesting that these new NYC-based flight attendants will not be required to have a knowledge of Finnish. Only English is required. I imagine that they will operate flights along with HEL-based (and thus Finnish-qualifed) flight attendants?
Next flights: YQM-YOW-YOW / YQM-YYZ-CPH-YYZ-YQM / YQM-YUL-LYS-BRU-YUL-YQM / YQM-PUJ-YQM

lucce

Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Quoting matt (Reply 4):
I find it interesting that these new NYC-based flight attendants will not be required to have a knowledge of Finnish. Only English is required. I imagine that they will operate flights along with HEL-based (and thus Finnish-qualifed) flight attendants?

For most destinations the standard is three local cabin crew and six Finns. On longer flight where they have augmented crew, they have four locals. I'm quite surprised that they don't require Russian skills since they make up for most of the passengers on that route.

On Spanish flights however, they don't have Finnish speakers on board. This is quite strange IMO since those flights have many pensioners who are visiting Finnish communities in Spain and speak no foreign languages.

Quoting A340crew (Reply 3):
Any idea if these JFK flight attendants will be employees of finnair (with finnair travel benefits) or will they be employees of Adecco (with no benefits)

As I recall, they are entitled to fly with AY on discounted fares though they are employed by Adecco. According to Finnish law, if they were employed by AY they would have to apply the Finnish conditions contract with them.

The RCAs (regional cabin attendant) will not receive purser or chief of cabin training and will only work on routes between their country and HEL as they will not receive training on the European fleet. Otherwise they are normal cabin crew.

VC10DC10

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:21 am

Quoting lucce (Reply 5):
Finnish communities in Spain

I learn something new every day.

Quoting lucce (Reply 5):

The RCAs (regional cabin attendant) will not receive purser or chief of cabin training and will only work on routes between their country and HEL as they will not receive training on the European fleet. Otherwise they are normal cabin crew.

How many RCAs do Finnair currently employ, and how many flight attendants in total do they have? Will any current crew lose their jobs in this switch?

lucce

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:57 am

Quoting VC10DC10 (Reply 6):
I learn something new every day.

For example there's a Finnish high school in Costa Del Sol.

Quoting VC10DC10 (Reply 6):
How many RCAs do Finnair currently employ, and how many flight attendants in total do they have? Will any current crew lose their jobs in this switch?

As I recall there's about 350 RCAs and a total of 1700 cabin crew. The union made a deal with the company where they agreed to cut pay and conditions in exchange for job security. Because of this, AY can't lay off anybody until 2014.