tara23
Topic Author

Getting Into Aircraft Painting?

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:39 am

Hi all,

I'm currently an automotive refinisher or spray painter as we are more commonly known as and I'm desperately looking to get into aircraft painting. However I get the impression it's pretty difficult to get into unless you know someone that works in the aviation industry.

I live and work in Sydney Australia and I was wondering if there was anyone out there with any stories of their own or information that may help me along in the right direction?

Thank you for reading.

ANY information will be a massive help.

Tara Savage

CaptainKramer

RE: Getting Into Aircraft Painting?

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi Tara,

I don't know how helpful this might be, but BBC recently ran a series of live 1 hour programs from London Heathrow over a period of 4 nights, going behind the scenes, and covering all aspects of operations, including maintenance, simulation training, ATC, Ground ops and the like.

One night they went behind the scenes at the British Airways Paint Hangar, where a A320 was recently repainted and the presenter was able to put the finishing touches on her by using a stensil to paint a series of letters on the nose gear door, which he slightly smudged, but being live, no retakes, but more importantly the aircraft needed to be wheeled out of the hangar to be towed to BA Terminal 5 in preparation for a flight.

Anyhow the person who assisted him was a young lady who now paints British Airways Aircraft fulltime, having previously served as Cabin Crew. She wanted a complete change of scene, so she applied for a position as a painter which was being advertised internally, as far as I can recall she had no or little prior experience.

If you go on youtube you will find all 4 episodes, the paint segment is on episode 3 I think, just type : Airport Live Episode 3 BBC Full Documentary 2013 about heathrow airport.

More information about the live shows can be found on the BBC website. Just go to BBC/Airport Live

Also you might want to try call the various airlines in Australia, including Virgin Australia and find out which ones still carry out maintenance in the country, including painting, I'm almost certain QANTAS outsources their maintenance to Lufthansa Technic in the Phillipines, I'm not so certain about the painting side though. Also their must be some painting of aircraft carried out in the General Aviation and Buisness Aircraft side of things.

Finally you could also contact the Royal Australian Air Force, RAAF and find out where their military aircraft are painted, I imagine they would have to be done inhouse, because of the security issues and find out what path you need to take.

Hope this was helpful, and good luck.

[Edited 2013-07-03 12:27:54]

Legs

RE: Getting Into Aircraft Painting?

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Quoting CaptainKramer (Reply 1):
Royal Australian Air Force, RAAF

I don't know about the civilian side of things but the RAAF just about totally contracts out its aircraft paint work. Ive messaged tara23 with some details of where to start looking.