contrails67
Topic Author

Who Handles Persian Gulf ATC?

Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:40 pm

While watching many planes flying to and from the Persian Gulf, I noticed that many of them form a line when heading south beginning in Iraq. So, I'm wondering that with the tremendous amount of planes in the Persian Gulf from Emirates, Qatar, Oman Air, Bahrain, FlyDubai, and Kuwait Airlines, who is responsible for the ATC in the area? Is there some type of joint atc control to regulate the flow of traffic going north and south as there is in Europe?

Thanks,
Contrails67

ThrottleHold

RE: Who Handles Persian Gulf ATC?

Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:52 am

Flying North to South, the aircraft transit Baghdad, Kuwait, Bahrain and Emirates FIR's.
The border between the Kuwait, Bahrain, Emirates FIR's and the Tehran FIR runs down the middle of the Gulf.

CosmicCruiser

Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:15 pm

across the Gulf it's Emirates-Muscat-Mumbai w/ CPDLC partially

ThrottleHold

Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 2):

That's over the Indian Ocean, not the Gulf.

Starlionblue

Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Quoting ThrottleHold (Reply 3):
Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 2):

That's over the Indian Ocean, not the Gulf.

Sounds like the Arabian Sea actually.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

CosmicCruiser

Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:50 pm

I was including the ATC coverages not mentioned in that area. North-South from Iran/Iraq was covered. I mentioned the area from eastward over the Gulf Of Oman. Here's the brief copy from google just to confirm where I'm speaking as I flew the trip numerous times in and out of dubai. CC

The Gulf of Oman or Sea of Oman is a strait that connects the Arabian Sea with the Strait of Hormuz, which then runs to the Persian Gulf. It is generally included as a branch of the Persian Gulf, not as an arm of the Arabian Sea.

jetblastdubai

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:02 am

West to east, the ATC en-route facilities are: Bahrain, UAE and Muscat.

A lot of Muscat airspace is non-radar (procedural for you Brits) and accounts for the huge delays leaving the UAE in the 2AM - 4 AM time slots to India/SE Asia/Australia.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading". - Thomas Jefferson