TakeOff
Topic Author

Airline Creative Director Jobs: Where To Look?

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:10 am

A question to all A.netters out there ––
I'm a Creative Director at an A-list ad agency in Manhattan, working primarily on blue-chip global accounts across all media touch-points, from TV to print to digital. After toying with the idea for quite some time now, I finally decided to make a career shift and look into aviation. My dream job would be working in-house at the Creative Department or the Customer Experience department of an airline. I've surfed extensively the "jobs" sections on the major U.S. carriers' websites but it looks like such positions either don't exist (which I find had to believe) or are never open. I'd appreciate any ideas/insights on how to strategize my search. And needless to say, any contacts or possible leads would be more than just appreciated. A big thanks in advance.
TakeOff

AirbusGeek

RE: Airline Creative Director Jobs: Where To Look?

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:03 am

Sorry, I can't help you! But I am interested in the responses you get.

Sorry again!

AirbusGeek
PIEDMONT- A MODEL OF HOW GOOD AN AIRLINE CAN BE

longhauler

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:33 pm

Unless you are well known in the business, (ie. already doing that function at another airline), that type of management position is usually hired from within the airline.

Your best bet would likely be to get into an airline in some other entry position, then apply from the inside.

For example, at AC, we hire "managers" from off the street for non partisan "assessment" type functions. They watch the operation from an impartial view, then report to superiors. I often see them walking around with clipboards and walkie talkies, looking at check-in or boarding. From a position like that, with your additional background, you would be well qualified for the position you suggest.

But, like just about everything in aviation, you have to love the job, as pay and working conditions are usually not stellar.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

LHRBFSTrident

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:42 pm

I met someone once whose job was to develop new products and customer experience enhancements for a large EU carrier (he did things like negotiate appropriate brands for products to be included in the F and J amenity kits, etc) and he was recruited from among the ranks of the cabin crew. He no longer flew as crew, but worked exclusively in 'Product development'.