iahmark
Topic Author

787-8 In Hot/high Airports (UIO/BOG/LPB)

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Here’s a question for whomever has access to piano x or any software that can predict ranges for a given distance and weight.

I’m trying to find out how far a 787-8 would be able to flight non-stop from hot/high airports like BOG or UIO to destinations in Europe ; how restricted could they operate or if they could make it without restriction (wishful thinking) .

Of special interest are the UIO legs to Europe like UIO-MAD/ UIO-CDG ; to me this is a fascinating airport as its at 2400 m asl, has a new runway (4100m) and it’s probably the farthest from Europe from the other busy hot and high airports in Lat America (MEX or BOG) , the exception being LPB .

Also how far could a 787 be able to operate from LPB (La Paz)??

Regards!

Pellegrine

RE: 787-8 In Hot/high Airports (UIO/BOG/LPB)

Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:05 am

Quoting iahmark (Thread starter):
I’m trying to find out how far a 787-8 would be able to flight non-stop from hot/high airports like BOG or UIO to destinations in Europe ; how restricted could they operate or if they could make it without restriction (wishful thinking) .

Of special interest are the UIO legs to Europe like UIO-MAD/ UIO-CDG ; to me this is a fascinating airport as its at 2400 m asl, has a new runway (4100m) and it’s probably the farthest from Europe from the other busy hot and high airports in Lat America (MEX or BOG) , the exception being LPB .

Also how far could a 787 be able to operate from LPB (La Paz)??

At what payload? By "without restriction", do you mean a full passenger load (and no cargo)?

I will look up a few (unofficial) figures tomorrow.
oh boy, here we go!!!

iahmark
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Hello…thanks for replying; according to Boeing the MTOW for the high performance engines is 460,000 lbs for the new UIO airport; payload would be the standard 244 passenger and their luggage, I believe putting cargo will be wishful thinking.

The reason I ask this is because KLM was thinking g of operating their B777’s on the AMS-UIO-AMS but for what I heard their simulations showed they could not make it with a viable payload or something to do with engine out performance so they will continue serving via triangle AMS-UIO-GYE-AMS; to me is surprising as the 777 is a very capable airplane however the topography around UIO can be challenging.

I think IB plans to start serving MAD-UIO-MAD nonstop with their A346 so this could be the trigger for other airlines to show interest..i.e AF?

Regards!

iahmark
Topic Author

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:56 pm

I see this thread is almost forgotten but the question is still valid....
Would it be possible to fly a UIO-AMS with KLM’s future 787-8/9’s? What about engine out performance issues.

I think KLM tried in the simulator this route with the 777-200ER/300ER and found it was not possible for engine out situations??
I'm interested because I lived some years in Quito (long time ago) and my house was close to the airport so I enjoyed the view and the struggles of the planes to get in/out of such place.
The new airport being lower 2400meter asl and with a longer runway (4100meters) should help a lot compared with the old one.

[Edited 2014-03-21 08:57:48]

sunrisevalley

Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:09 am

The engine power will have a big bearing on all this The standard 788 engine which I believe is 64K pounds of thrust allows a 213t TOW out of UIO. A 74K engine would push off MTOW.
Assuming UIO-AMS is about 11-hrs the payload is about 29t and 38t respectively. The latter figure is probably very close to max volume limited payload.

iahmark
Topic Author

Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:23 pm

Thank you for the answer however I was looking at KLM fleet upgrade info and they are going to get the 787-9, not the 8 version; being a heavier plane I don't know how much more powerful the engines could get, I believe on the GENx types the max for the 787 series will be 78K pounds thrust…I still think it will be a pretty capable plane!
Quoting sunrisevalley (Reply 4):
The engine power will have a big bearing on all this The standard 788 engine which I believe is 64K pounds of thrust allows a 213t TOW out of UIO. A 74K engine would push off MTOW.
Assuming UIO-AMS is about 11-hrs the payload is about 29t and 38t respectively. The latter figure is probably very close to max volume limited payload.

sunrisevalley

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:43 pm

Quoting iahmark (Reply 5):
I don't know how much more powerful the engines could get, I believe on the GENx types the max for the 787 series will be 78K pounds thrust

If they went for the 78K engine they will get ( just) MTOW out of UIO. A few knots of wind's on takeoff would clearly help. 74K engines would allow 244t TOW which is very close to max volume limited payload of 45t for an 11-hour city pair. Would seem to me KLM could make good use of the 789 on this route