AR385
Topic Author

Mexican Navy Makes (spectacular?) Landings.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:09 pm

With the current hurricane emergency in Acapulco, the city is basically isolated. The airport is closed due to the runways being flooded and the electrical infrastructure being damaged. The main highway between Acapulco and Mexico City is also blocked by landslides.

I read in the paper yesterday that of two planes sent to Acapulco by the Navy, one with rations and one with a water potabilization machine, one of them landed at night, with no lights and flooded runways into ACA.

I have a few questions to the nice folks in this forum

1. Is this possible or is it the newspapers exaggerating?
2. Is there a Navigational aid on military planes (I guess it was either a C-130 or a CN-235) that would allow this?
3. How common is it?

The other plane had to land at a military base 15 miles from ACA.

1. So did the first plane exhibited extreme prowess by the crew and the other was not so expertly flown and decided to land at the base or it was supposed to happen this way? I realize nobody here can provide an answer without knowing the Navy´s plans, I am asking more in terms of this happened because one plane or crew was able to pull it and the other not.

In any case, congrats to the Navy both crews have displayed remarkable airmanship.

Thanks in advance.

SAAFNAV

RE: Mexican Navy Makes (spectacular?) Landings.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Well, military aircrew are normally allowed to do 'dark-hole' approaches. This is very similar to a GCA approach, but all info is derived from inside the aircraft.

Depending on the systems, you could have lateral and vertical guidance from you FMS with IRS/GPS positions.
Alternatively, with a good GPS position, you can work out your descend path and rate.

If they had someone on the ground who provided lighting, they can land in darkness. (With special forces etc, you can train to land, drive in and strap down and be airborne again in pitch-darkness, well within 2 minutes.

As to the water on the runway, the would depend on the crew's perception of how safe it would be. The second crew might not have been comfortable landing due to a myriad of reasons.

Erich
On-board Direction Consultant

Fabo

Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:26 pm

If you could identify the type, that could help as well. I can easily imagine different types having different susceptibility to water. If the "flooding" was just a couple inches standing water, I can see how a military transport would be designed, either by intent, or by coincidence, to allow for such operation.
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

AR385
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:52 pm

Quoting Fabo (Reply 2):
If you could identify the type, that could help as well. I can easily imagine different types having different susceptibility to water. If the "flooding" was just a couple inches standing water, I can see how a military transport would be designed, either by intent, or by coincidence, to allow for such operation.

Thank you both. From the pictures I´ve seen I can venture to say it was a CN-235. Although my expertise is not military transport planes, but rather airlines.

EDIT:

I just confirmed, both planes were CN-235s.

[Edited 2013-09-17 12:25:20]

Today they are flying a 727 of the Mexican Air Force into ACA proper to evacuate stranded tourists.

[Edited 2013-09-17 12:28:48]