DocLightning
Topic Author

787 Interior Lighting System

Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:37 pm

I just had my first 787 experience (and was very happy with it!).

One thing I noticed about the interior lighting system is that there seems to be two sets of LED's mounted above the bins. One of them projects one color at the ceiling while the other projects a different color at the opposite bin. Thus, the ceiling will be illuminated in blue and the bins in white. Or for sunrise, the ceiling was purple and the bin was yellow-orange. I was very impressed by the system.

Does anyone have any schema of how this is accomplished? I found it amazing that while the light was aimed at the bins, it was impossible to see the LED strips from a seated position.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

JHwk

RE: 787 Interior Lighting System

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:18 pm

LED grazers can have very tight optics-- as little as a 3 degree beam spread. You would expect a wider grazer shining at each half of the ceiling, and a narrow grazer aimed at the bins. I haven't flown the 787 yet, but I was impressed with the upper deck on the 748i-- I do some lighting design, but the effect really looked like magic.