catiii
Topic Author

USA Systemwide Aircraft Rotations?

Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:21 pm

As US carriers update their onboard products, is there any rhyme or reason to how aircraft that have the updated on-board product are assigned to what routes? For example, I am flying today from EWR to SFO. My colleagues are on an earlier flight, departing EWR at 1135A, which is a 739 but which also has no onboard entertainment in the form of DirecTV, or even a drop down monitor in the aisle. It would seem to me that UA would want to offer that product on a flight that is blocked for over 6 hours. Is any effort made to ensure that flights of a certain stage length have these types of onboard product?

CONTACREW

RE: USA Systemwide Aircraft Rotations?

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Quoting catiii (Thread starter):
As US carriers update their onboard products, is there any rhyme or reason to how aircraft that have the updated on-board product are assigned to what routes? For example, I am flying today from EWR to SFO. My colleagues are on an earlier flight, departing EWR at 1135A, which is a 739 but which also has no onboard entertainment in the form of DirecTV, or even a drop down monitor in the aisle. It would seem to me that UA would want to offer that product on a flight that is blocked for over 6 hours. Is any effort made to ensure that flights of a certain stage length have these types of onboard product?

Short answer no. The 739s are routed throughout the system they are not dedicated to any one route unlike the PS 757s which normally fly only JFK-LAX/SFO and the very rare non PS route.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

threeifbyair

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:42 am

DL assigns international-configuration 752s or 763s to JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA. Flat-beds in F, PTVs, etc.

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1898

When I flew that route in 2012, I had an ex-Song 752 with PTVs and a 738 with no PTVs, just overhead monitors on my round trip.

UA does seem to be hit and miss. I have no idea why UA schedules ERJs and mainline on the same route. Huge difference in passenger comfort and amenities.

davidho1985

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:42 am

Unless the routes are premium one, I doubt any airline will do so as it will affect the fleet utilization i.e. expensive to airline.

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 2):
DL assigns international-configuration 752s or 763s to JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA. Flat-beds in F, PTVs, etc.

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1898

When I flew that route in 2012, I had an ex-Song 752 with PTVs and a 738 with no PTVs, just overhead monitors on my round trip.

UA does seem to be hit and miss. I have no idea why UA schedules ERJs and mainline on the same route. Huge difference in passenger comfort and amenities.

For Delta, Network and the Fleet Managers TRY to place PTV 738/757s on longer routes but that doesn't always happen. Also, you perforamnce critical routes like say STT-ATL, they usually put winglet 757s for added payload capabilities. There are also higher performing 320s that are put on certain routes like say LGA-DEN and the like.
What gets measured gets done.

Flighty

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:46 pm

Quoting catiii (Thread starter):
Is any effort made to ensure that flights of a certain stage length have these types of onboard product?

That is a very low/non priority. Maybe ahead of a/c livery but that's it.

Their main priority is deciding how many seats per day on that city pair. Then, how many flights (i.e., what size aircraft). Then, maybe the premium seat quotient, if they are getting fancy (i.e. Shuttle or PS type services).

Once you see how vast UAL's network is, they just don't have the spare time to think about giving people in Dayton Ohio a particular kind of IFE across the aircraft they fly there. Just aligning supply with demand is a huge challenge on their scale.

A group of people called In-Flight experience or similar, determine what IFE should exist. Ideally, somebody like JetBlue for example achieves a uniform, predictable product across all fleets. UAL is not there yet, and probably never will be, given that they are an ERJ-to-VLA carrier with >1,000 jets of all sizes.

Making the network flow in better in the (interminable) meantime involves so much money, that nothing else stands in the way of it.

[Edited 2013-09-20 09:51:09]

threeifbyair

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:06 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 4):
There are also higher performing 320s that are put on certain routes like say LGA-DEN and the like.

Are these the newer 320s (after #3250) that are -212s instead of -211s? How much of a difference is there?

UA runs a lot of older 320s on long-ish flights (I had a 1994-build on IAD-SEA recently), but perhaps the UA fleet has the higher performance variants.

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 6):
Are these the newer 320s (after #3250) that are -212s instead of -211s? How much of a difference is there?

Yes, ships 3234-3276. These have the CFM56-5-A3s. The others are A1s. They are higher thrust and give a slight bump in take-off capabilities.
What gets measured gets done.