drr49
Topic Author

Icelandair And WiFi; Row 44 Antenna

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:54 am

I fly FI quite a bit, and ever since the announcement on 5/2012 that they signed a deal with Row 44 for WiFi, I keep hoping to see it available on a flight. That announcement said that installation would be complete by the fall of 2013, but no availability on any of my recent flights.

I asked a F/A on my current trip, and she said that only one plane had been mod'ed, and they were looking at results before mod'ing other a/c.

In passsing thru KEF today, during the peak afternoon hub rush, I noticed one a/c with a very unusual dome on the top of the fuselage, about 1-2 m long, and about 2/3 the way back from the nose. No other a/c parked had this dome on top, and there were about 9 a/c I could see. I'm wondering if this is the antenna for the Row 44 service.

The a/c with the dome is TF-FIU.

I'm curious is anyone has any idea if FI plans to proceed with further instlations on other a/c. Something must not be as expected, perhaps on the revenue generation side, as the installation was to be complete, fleet-wide, by now.

Thanks.

flyiguy

RE: Icelandair And WiFi; Row 44 Antenna

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:36 am

WN uses Row 44 and all the -700s & -800s have the dome on them.

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

icelandair75w

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:56 am

TFFIU was indeed the first to have the WiFi dome installed.
The remaining aircraft will receive the WiFi mod through the winter when they go through their yearly C checks.
TFFIO is currently in such a check and is having that installed as well as a few other new additions.

drr49
Topic Author

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks. Are C checks done in KEF? I keep track of the FI fleet, and if one is out of service for some time, perhaps it is in a C check, and getting the mod.

I'm trying to keep track of the WiFi mod'ed a/c so I can fly on one. TF-FIU is here today in SEA, wish I was going on it.

voiceofgoa

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:22 am

The wifi installation was supposed to be completed around this time. I am taking the SEA-KEF flight in early Nov. Hope I get the aircraft that has been fitted.

faxiTMA

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:26 pm

Just yesterday was the first flight with the WiFi system activated, I haven't seen the results of that trial yet, until now we've had some technical difficulties, including the WiFi interfering the current IFE system. For now only FIU and FIO have the "hump" installed

musang

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Why would an airline NOT specify wifi on new aircraft these days? Surely retrofit is more expensive, and not installing it places the carrier at a competitive disadvantage.

Regards - musang

barney captain

Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:07 pm

Quoting musang (Reply 6):
Why would an airline NOT specify wifi on new aircraft these days? Surely retrofit is more expensive, and not installing it places the carrier at a competitive disadvantage.

To the best of knowledge, Boeing at least, doesn't offer wifi as an option - it's strictly an aftermarket add on.
Southeast Of Disorder

Starlionblue

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:30 am

It is yet another system which costs money in installation and maintenance.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

apfpilot

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:40 pm

Regards - musang

I work for one of (if not the) largest inflight wi-fi provider on the bizjet side of things and through our efforts the competitive disadvantage in the part 135 charter market of not having wi-fi is huge.
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.