todaReisinger
Topic Author

Fuselage Panels Of A 747 - Is It Heavy?

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Hi,

Does anybody know if it is possible to separate the metallic "skin" of a 747 fuselage and to estimate the weight of a 5m by 2m part....?

I saw on the wall of a furniture shop in Brussels 2 years ago a fuselage panel of an airplane. It was certainly from an old Boeing (707/727), maybe 1.5m long and 40cm wide, and it looked truly light.

Thanks   !
I bitterly miss the livery that should never have been changed (repetition...)

kanban

RE: Fuselage Panels Of A 747 - Is It Heavy?

Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:20 am

since the panels (with attached ribs and stringers) are shipped from vendors, to would be easy to contact one with the question.. However crown panels weigh less than belly panels which are much lighter than window panels. extrapolating from the weight of an unprocessed piece of skin is also hard because many are chem milled so there is no constant thickness.

The 757 skins are similar but a 5 x 2 meter chunk required a crane to remove from the boxes and hang. (skins were stored hanging for ease and to prevent damage.) part of the problem was size, part was preventing torquing damage, and part was weight. and they didn't have the stringers and clips attached yet.

todaReisinger
Topic Author

RE: Fuselage Panels Of A 747 - Is It Heavy?

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Many thanks for the information. I guess I'll have to consider slightly smaller pieces for my project....!
I bitterly miss the livery that should never have been changed (repetition...)