MIAT
Topic Author

Obtaining An Airline Internship

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:39 am

Hey everyone! I am currently a sophomore at a top-10 university, and given that I've been following the commercial aviation industry for years, I am dying to get a summer internship at a US airline. I am from NYC, so Jetblue would be my top choice. Since I am going to school in Chicago, however, United would also be a contender. I am aware of the different internship opportunities on offer, but I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how I should write my cover letter. I am obviously passionate about the industry, but it's hard to verify the countless hours I've spent leisurely researching airlines and airplanes. That being said, how do I demonstrate to recruiters that I have the know-how and interest to work for an airline, even though I have no relevant experience in the field?

Starlionblue

RE: Obtaining An Airline Internship

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:48 am

In my experience entry level jobs are much more about a good attitude and a willingness to work hard than about know-how. Emphasize your interest (but don't overdo it) but talk more about your willingness to work hard and take on the jobs no one wants to do (it's what interns get to do after all).

To be blunt, you probably don't have the know-how required (all the stuff you've been studying might not help you much) and I wouldn't emphasize it too much. Lots of people in the industry, including pilots, have no more than a passing interest in the industry itself. I know pilots who switch off aviation completely when they are off work.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."

n6238p

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Most airline ops internships require some sort of participation in an aviation degree program and/or pilot certificates. When I did mine, the major airline required a commercial pilot certificate. While you may be enthusiastic, make sure you meet the minimum requirements first. There are other internship opportunities out there such as those in airline finance and IT departments but the ones in ops are more geared towards those with aviation backgrounds.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

roseflyer

Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:42 am

I might have missed it but what is your major?
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

modesto2

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:24 pm

Many U.S. carriers offer internships to college students. I suggest you regularly check their websites, and use LinkedIn as a networking resource. I've interned at B6 and DL, and from my internship search, I know that AA, AS, UA, US, and WN all offer internships. These internships are not limited to flight operations as most of these airlines have positions in engineering, marketing, ecommerce, human resources, and more. Send me a message if you'd like more info. Good luck!

Cloneof501

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:09 am

Quoting modesto2 (Reply 4):

I sent you a message.

But on a more general note, has anyone here ever gotten an internship in a finance position at an airline?

MIAT
Topic Author

Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:32 pm

Thank you all for the responses!

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 3):
I might have missed it but what is your major?

I am majoring in Economics.

bjorn14

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:48 pm

I know WN has many summer interns across many areas, but usually in DAL .
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Super80DFW

Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:13 am

I'm also majoring in Economics, but also doubling majoring in Anthropology. I'm looking forward to getting an internship, however I already work for AMR so hopefully I can just graduate and transfer down to Headquarters in Fort Worth. Good luck with your search!
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!