727glasair
Topic Author
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:51 am

I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 am

Hi friends! About twice a week I drive to SEA (just 20 mins drive) and watch the planes. There is a good viewing spot just 300 yards west of the Tower, in the old United Cargo parking lot, right up on the fence next to the action. I just park there for about 3 hours and closely observe landings and departures. I have binoculars and also check on Flightaware for destinations, etc.

Though I have about 4500 hours PIC time, it nonetheless fascinates and entertains me to watch these planes. In an odd way, it is also relaxing or comforting to me, as it somehow makes me feel "in touch" or connected with the nation or the world. I love seeing the Hainan 787-9 depart for Beijing or the Icelandair 757-200 arrive from Rekjakvic, or the Emerites 777-300 ER come in from Dubai, or the Fed-EX MD-11 depart for LAX.....or even just the Delta E-175 arrive from Boise.

I often invite my wife to accompany me, but she is having none of it. She thinks I must have some problem in the head, that maybe I am mal-adjusted to life or reality, or have some other mental deficiency. Perhaps I do? Anyway I just tell her I like to go and watch the airplanes.....
 
jubguy3
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:18 am

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:43 am

Divorce her and watch more planes
 
chrisp390
Posts: 656
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:52 am

Everyone has their hobby, tell her to be more open minded!
 
ACDC8
Posts: 7712
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:57 am

Welcome to the club :bigthumbsup:
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut
 
drmlnr1
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:07 am

Explain to her why you love watching airplanes and maybe she will join you. My wife loves to accompany me and we even have a name the plane competition
Flying is relaxing!
 
jeffrey1970
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2001 1:41 am

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:19 am

A friend of mine once told me that Airliners.net was my airplane porn. lol
God bless through Jesus, Jeff
 
2175301
Posts: 1245
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 11:19 am

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:19 am

I once asked the wife of a person who was very much a 2nd dad to me, if it bothered her about all the time and money her husband spent fishing, hunting, boating, etc...

She told me that it really bothered her the first few years of her marriage... and then she learned that almost all the husbands of her girlfriends were hanging out in the bars... spending more money than her husband did, and getting drunk a lot and into other problems. That put it into a different light for her... She would much rather see him do what he does on his free time than head to the bars (or the strip club).

I'm not sure of the polite way to pass that on... but; she has the ability to make choices... and learning to live with someone's hobby that does not normally get them into trouble is not the worst thing in life...

I wish you the best,
 
VV
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 am

Have you ever thought that she might be right?
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2054
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:10 am

What's wrong with plane spotting? ...far better than having a smoking, beer-burping slob of a husband who sits on the couch all day watching football on TV...
 
Indy
Posts: 4716
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:41 am

I have a few possible responses you could share with your wife but you'd have to change the title of this thread in a few months to...

"I watch/spot airliners; ex wife thinks I am nuts...."

So probably best not to comment on the money she spends on shoes and makeup :-)
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
eicvd
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:12 pm

& you married this woman? What’s her hobbies? Shopping & reality tv?.....
COYBIB
 
groundbird
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:15 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:37 pm

When I got home from plane spotting, I told my wife she had drawn her eyebrows too high.
She looked surprised.
 
727glasair
Topic Author
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:51 am

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Yeah, 2 or 3 guys we know, have other hobbies like going out drinking late at night or playing poker and losing tons of $$$. My wife should not complain too much about MY hobbies.....could be much worse.
 
N0dak
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:52 am

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 pm

727glasair wrote:
Yeah, 2 or 3 guys we know, have other hobbies like going out drinking late at night or playing poker and losing tons of $$$. My wife should not complain too much about MY hobbies.....could be much worse.


Are there any "official" spotting locations at SEA? My wife couldn't care less about watching airplanes, but at MSP they built a spotters park with a few benches & picnic tables. When the weather is nice she tags along to at least sit outside on a nice day. If there is something like that near you, it may be a way to get her to tag along.
 
chrisp390
Posts: 656
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:27 pm

You could also take her to one of those Caribbean Islands where you can do spotting, and experience the thrill of the planes up close. She might appreciate it then ;)
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 995
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:33 pm

groundbird wrote:
When I got home from plane spotting, I told my wife she had drawn her eyebrows too high.
She looked surprised.

:biggrin:
I promised myself I'd leave before the party turned ugly. I would quit at 1000 !
Here I am stuck at 994; each time I'm tempted to post, I find myself wondering who will even read it / what is the point?
Or maybe I've just got nothing left to say.
 
LH707330
Posts: 1958
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:44 pm

Ha ha I love this thread. To be fair, she probably has a point in saying you're obsessive, people in my life have told me that since I was a kid. My response is always to ask what the harm is in it, and that usually shuts them up. The other week I impulse-bought a $150 747 kit that will take me 50 hours to put together. That's pretty cheap entertainment if you ask me....
 
User avatar
September11
Posts: 3385
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 12:49 am

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Bring back all airport observation decks... So proper and ideal place for families
Airliners.net of the Future
 
User avatar
notaxonrotax
Posts: 1256
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:01 am

2175301 wrote:
hanging out in the bars... ,


Hang on, are watching planes and drinking mutually exclusive?
I normally try to combine the two....


No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"
 
User avatar
plumbag
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:45 am

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:13 pm

chrisp390 wrote:
Everyone has their hobby, tell her to be more open minded!


Yup. I don't nag to my wife about her excessive cleaning. I let her do it :D

I just started my own blog called flightmap, which actually was her idea. She said I should target my enthusiasm to something useful.
http://flightmap.livejournal.com/

But let's see what she says when I get started. My plan is to write at least 5 posts a week :D And I am a slooow writer.
 
User avatar
Classa64
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:07 am

Its simple really...
You: I am going to the peeler bar...
Her in an alarmed state: NO YOUR NOT
You: Then can I go watch airplanes?
Her: Ugh Ok
Let her make the decision for you :)

Not much happens at YYB or that's were I would be instead of on my PC. My wife only joins me when the Snowbirds are in town and loves it, but other than that, that's the extent of her caring about whats flying over head .
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"
 
User avatar
BWIAirport
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:45 pm

There is an unfortunate consensus (at least in my experience) that an aviation love/hobby (no WN pun intended) is something for children and people "grow out of it", as if it's any different from people extremely passionate about cars, which seems to be more socially acceptable. Once your wife gets past this, she'll be more manageable.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN | E190 DC9 712 733 737 738 739 744 752 762 77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88
 
rotation18L
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2001 11:30 am

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Sun May 13, 2018 4:08 am

I guess I should consider myself lucky. My wife gladly goes with me spotting, and she was never into aircraft before she met me. In fact, the other day, she saw an aircraft at altitude making a hard left turn and asked me if it was being vectored to a particular waypoint. I asked her how she knew about vectors, and she said, "I live with an avgeek!"
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 15464
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri May 25, 2018 11:02 pm

rotation18L wrote:
I guess I should consider myself lucky. My wife gladly goes with me spotting, and she was never into aircraft before she met me. In fact, the other day, she saw an aircraft at altitude making a hard left turn and asked me if it was being vectored to a particular waypoint. I asked her how she knew about vectors, and she said, "I live with an avgeek!"

I am officially jealous. And for the record happily divorced.

But I'm raising two awesome daughters that know Daddy is happy receiving Lego airplane models as gifts and expect daddy to be looking at planes at or near the airport.

You have to train them early!

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.
 
LH707330
Posts: 1958
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:25 pm

lightsaber wrote:
rotation18L wrote:
I guess I should consider myself lucky. My wife gladly goes with me spotting, and she was never into aircraft before she met me. In fact, the other day, she saw an aircraft at altitude making a hard left turn and asked me if it was being vectored to a particular waypoint. I asked her how she knew about vectors, and she said, "I live with an avgeek!"

I am officially jealous. And for the record happily divorced.

But I'm raising two awesome daughters that know Daddy is happy receiving Lego airplane models as gifts and expect daddy to be looking at planes at or near the airport.

You have to train them early!

Lightsaber

These days, the good news is that you can add "likes planes" to your profile and then people who have an issue with that self-weed without you having to do anything.
 
910A
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 am

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:12 am

Cheaper than golf :cloudnine: My wife would go watch the planes on weekends at SFO with her dad during her high school years.
 
ba724
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:34 am

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:06 pm

You are nuts! Welcome to the nuthouse!!
 
twaconnie
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:10 pm

September11 wrote:
Bring back all airport observation decks... So proper and ideal place for families

You got that wright. I can't even watch planes at the perimeter fence without being told to leave. let's face it a lot of the enjoyment has gone.
 
User avatar
VapourTrails
Posts: 3339
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners, wife thinks I am nuts..

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:08 am

727glasair wrote:
Hi friends! About twice a week I drive to SEA (just 20 mins drive) and watch the planes. There is a good viewing spot just 300 yards west of the Tower, in the old United Cargo parking lot, right up on the fence next to the action. I just park there for about 3 hours and closely observe landings and departures. I have binoculars and also check on Flightaware for destinations, etc. Though I have about 4500 hours PIC time, it nonetheless fascinates and entertains me to watch these planes. In an odd way, it is also relaxing or comforting to me, as it somehow makes me feel "in touch" or connected with the nation or the world. I often invite my wife to accompany me, but she is having none of it. She thinks I must have some problem in the head, that maybe I am mal-adjusted to life or reality, or have some other mental deficiency. Perhaps I do? Anyway I just tell her I like to go and watch the airplanes.....


LH707330 wrote:
Ha ha I love this thread. To be fair, she probably has a point in saying you're obsessive, people in my life have told me that since I was a kid. My response is always to ask what the harm is in it, and that usually shuts them up. The other week I impulse-bought a $150 747 kit that will take me 50 hours to put together. That's pretty cheap entertainment if you ask me....


I hear you, as do many on this forum. I don’t watch the planes all that often unless time permits to the relaxation of it, but I know to tell no-one (family, friends, loved ones) where I am going. I tell no-one where I’ve been the last few hours. Not that I need to, but I do often do other things when I am out also, so I’ve been to the shops, out for a drive, or whatever, half true. Um, it’s not like I’ve been up to something terrible LOL. The most often answer I then get is ‘I tried to call you..’ or, (me) ‘oh,is my location services OFF? – or, the phone rings because I am expecting a call I need to take, and …where are you? :taekwondo: Saying, that I don’t rule out trying it on someone new, just to test their reaction LOL. :eyebrow:

It is time-out, in the way you describe. It is also an opportunity to spend time with ‘my people’ as on weekends there are often others, even families doing the same thing. It makes a change from the online world LOL. I also love the noise and the odour and the lights – normally I am not into these things and quite sensitive. I haven’t been to the major airports spotting locations where are crowds but I hope to when more time permits. It is good to use watching the planes to get away from people though too. People often sit in their cars, maybe some music going etc. Aviation can also very often be an expensive hobby and this is a less costly alternative to spending time. I like the spontaneity of it too, rather than a planned event. I get it is a fix. I call it an equalizer. I’m in the Cloud. :fluffy:

The people that I have taken plane-spotting, generally end up whining and complaining about the weather or where they would rather be, and ‘we’ve been here long enough- it is cold, windy, it’s started raining’ and just spoil it. It does seem odd to a lot of people; and other hobbies, just not so odd to a lot of people. I accept that. I have learnt from it and try to minimise the negative feedback because it makes me start to question it and I don’t need to. The Internet has sure made it seem easier because you realise there are so many more people like yourself! Very normal. :profile:
:eyebrow:
 
LH707330
Posts: 1958
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners, wife thinks I am nuts..

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:03 am

VapourTrails wrote:
I hear you, as do many on this forum. I don’t watch the planes all that often unless time permits to the relaxation of it, but I know to tell no-one (family, friends, loved ones) where I am going. I tell no-one where I’ve been the last few hours. Not that I need to, but I do often do other things when I am out also, so I’ve been to the shops, out for a drive, or whatever, half true. Um, it’s not like I’ve been up to something terrible LOL. The most often answer I then get is ‘I tried to call you..’ or, (me) ‘oh,is my location services OFF? – or, the phone rings because I am expecting a call I need to take, and …where are you? :taekwondo: Saying, that I don’t rule out trying it on someone new, just to test their reaction LOL. :eyebrow:

It is time-out, in the way you describe. It is also an opportunity to spend time with ‘my people’ as on weekends there are often others, even families doing the same thing. It makes a change from the online world LOL. I also love the noise and the odour and the lights – normally I am not into these things and quite sensitive. I haven’t been to the major airports spotting locations where are crowds but I hope to when more time permits. It is good to use watching the planes to get away from people though too. People often sit in their cars, maybe some music going etc. Aviation can also very often be an expensive hobby and this is a less costly alternative to spending time. I like the spontaneity of it too, rather than a planned event. I get it is a fix. I call it an equalizer. I’m in the Cloud. :fluffy:

The people that I have taken plane-spotting, generally end up whining and complaining about the weather or where they would rather be, and ‘we’ve been here long enough- it is cold, windy, it’s started raining’ and just spoil it. It does seem odd to a lot of people; and other hobbies, just not so odd to a lot of people. I accept that. I have learnt from it and try to minimise the negative feedback because it makes me start to question it and I don’t need to. The Internet has sure made it seem easier because you realise there are so many more people like yourself! Very normal. :profile:


Dear Diary,

I'm convinced my husband Bob is cheating on me. He randomly leaves in the middle of a Saturday afternoon, doesn't tell me where he's going, and then doesn't pick up his phone when I call or text him. When he gets back, he seems to be in a good mood, but when I ask him about it, he waffles or gives vague answers like "I was out for a drive" or "I went for a walk." I know he's not the biggest fan of driving because all of those Prius drivers clogging the left lane, and it takes a half hour to get out to the back roads, and he usually just walks to get places like the corner store. He doesn't smell like beer, so I don't think he was in the pub, which he knows I don't care about because we go together to watch games all the time. I wonder if that new marketing person who started three months ago has anything to do with it, I think they email a lot, maybe I should investigate. Our relationship has been pretty solid so far, but these random outings sometimes leave me wondering what's going on.

/diary :D

I don't know, I always tell people early on that I like planes, if they don't like it they can keep walking. If I've got nothing to hide, I don't, but YMMV....
 
FatCat
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:20 am

Start spotting other women, let's see how she reacts :-)
May my post not hurt your feelings
 
User avatar
Southwest1137
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:00 am

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:02 am

Get her to go, teach her a little about aviation... she might enjoy doing it too!
 
User avatar
Gonzalo
Posts: 1758
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:43 am

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:03 am

Ten years ago, when I first met my wife, one of the few warnings I said about me was “I’m an aviation nut, I spend money, time and energy in this.
Now when she wants to do something alone in the house she “ask” me: why don’t you go fly somewhere with FSX, or watch some “aircraft porn” in Airliners.net?
Usually I’m obedient!!!
Rgds.
G.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600
 
User avatar
fsx98
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:57 am

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:28 am

727glasair wrote:
Hi friends! About twice a week I drive to SEA (just 20 mins drive) and watch the planes. There is a good viewing spot just 300 yards west of the Tower, in the old United Cargo parking lot, right up on the fence next to the action. I just park there for about 3 hours and closely observe landings and departures. I have binoculars and also check on Flightaware for destinations, etc.

Though I have about 4500 hours PIC time, it nonetheless fascinates and entertains me to watch these planes. In an odd way, it is also relaxing or comforting to me, as it somehow makes me feel "in touch" or connected with the nation or the world. I love seeing the Hainan 787-9 depart for Beijing or the Icelandair 757-200 arrive from Rekjakvic, or the Emerites 777-300 ER come in from Dubai, or the Fed-EX MD-11 depart for LAX.....or even just the Delta E-175 arrive from Boise.

I often invite my wife to accompany me, but she is having none of it. She thinks I must have some problem in the head, that maybe I am mal-adjusted to life or reality, or have some other mental deficiency. Perhaps I do? Anyway I just tell her I like to go and watch the airplanes.....


I feel you and have a similar story with my parents; whenever I travel with my parents by plane, I always have the opportunity to bring my dad's DSLR to plane-spot jetliners while waiting to board our flight to anywhere. But when it comes to traveling with parents by plane, my mom thinks that I'm a kid just by wasting time taking photos of airplanes and even filming from the cabin watching my aircraft taking off and landing, all of which I STRONGLY disagree with her because plane-spotting is my hobby at heart and that anyone of all ages can do all sorts of plane-spotting. It seems like my mom doesn't respect my plane-spotting hobby very well, in which I find it very discouraging, but what my mom doesn't fully understand is that plane-spotting is my therapeutic activity, so whenever I feel stressed, I would either view photos of aircraft on airliners.net, or sometimes drive down to my local airport and take a couple photos of aircraft taking off and land from there, when time permits.
Aviation junkie + computer expert!
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 1269
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: I watch/spot airliners; wife thinks I am nuts....

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:48 pm

When my wife and I bought our first house the agents and a lot of the paperwork made it abundantly clear to us that we would be living within airspace used quite a bit by the air force (close proximity to a base). We were puzzled why it was a big deal. We asked "Is that normally an issue for people? We WANT to live near the base so I can watch them fly!" Their faces were priceless. I'm glad I married a person who is as passionate about airplanes as I am. Almost 10 years later and now I have a pool I can lounge in while spotting. As a bonus they've also adjusted a couple of inbound routes for my commercial airport. Get a FedEx 767, a Southwest 737-800 and a couple Delta CRJ200's that fly over, usually right on time. My kids have latched on as well and will tell me if I'm not paying attention. Can't beat that!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos