Where Can I Find ATC Scanners?

Thu Apr 06, 2000 9:30 pm

I hope someone out there in "Airliners.net" land can help me!

I live near Logan International Airport here in Boston and I have been trying to find a store that sells portable scanners for ATC like a Radio Shack or something.

I went to the local Radio Shack near my home and they tell me they no longer sell them!

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find a place that sells them?

Thanks!!!

RE: Where Can I Find ATC Scanners?

Fri Apr 07, 2000 3:08 am

I only know of one place and thats in the UK. So i don't know if thats any good for you but if it is go to:

http://www.transair.co.uk/

Hope it helps

RE: Thanks Lordsky

Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:05 am

Thanks Lordsky, I realize it's "across the pond" but I do appreciate it!

AerLingus A330

Sat Apr 08, 2000 7:12 am

Ebay!! That's where I got mine.You'll save alot of money too.

KALB

Wed Apr 12, 2000 11:14 am

I got mine through Sporty's Pilot Shop, $150 or thereabouts. Great Fun! I think they may have a web site.

Mark

Mon Apr 24, 2000 3:37 am

If you went to a Radio Shack and the guy said they no longer sell scanners which cover the 118-136 MHz aircraft band, you need to go to a different Radio Shack. He obviously didn't know what he was talking about since the VHF aircraft band is on virtually all scanners, hand-held's & base models.

Pilot1113

Try Here

Mon Apr 24, 2000 4:08 am

http://www.spinnerspilotshop.com They have a lot of pilot gear and stuff like that. I'm sure that you'll find a scanner that fits your needs.

I use this place for everything! :-)

- Neil Harrison

koala

Mon Apr 24, 2000 9:44 am

AerLingus A330:
I agree with Mark. I have been in several Boston area Radio Shacks, and I even bought my first one there. It was a Pro-71, but it lacked direct tuning - A very useful feature (make sure you get one with direct tuning)!
You can also try a mail order place such as http://www.universal-radio.com/ where I got my great ICOM IC-R10. I love it. If you're looking for a bargain, Sporty's does have one like KALB (I think!) said, at a good price. Hope this helps!. If you want more info about them or scanning at Logan, email me at kuala13751@aol.com.

Christian Ford

Idiots Working At Radio Shack As Always

Tue Apr 25, 2000 1:31 pm

Go back to that Radio Shack and tell the clown you want to see the Radio Shack catalog. Look in there and you will see tons of scanners, and i believe that at least 80 or 90% of the scanners they sell carry the aircraft bands. I would stay away from the pilot supply stores, as with all pilot stuff it is expensive and some of the scanners they sell only pick up aircraft and not the other cool stuff.