Well I used to have the same problem too. I couldnt land anything except a Cessna. All the other jets used to crash.
But now i have got the hang of it to a certain extent. I'll list out some of the things i do, perhaps it mught help.
- Line up with the runway well in advance. For A320-20 nm, A310/A300 - 25nm, 747-35 nm. This reduces the tension of last-minute heading changes. after the turn is complete, engage the heading hold (^H). Reduce speed to 240 knots, and descend till level out at 3000 ft AGL.
- Set speed hold to an appropriate Landing Speed. Increase flaps one notch for every 10knots decrease in speed. The Landing speeds:
A320 - 140
A310/300 - 160
B747 - 180
These are the speeds i got from fellow simmers. Howver, i found that it is better to set the speed to ~10 knots BELOW these figures to prevent 'FLOATING'.
- Disconnect the Altitude Hold once it reaches a certain distance. This distance should depend on the speed of the acft.
A320 - 9 nm
B747 - 12 nm
Maintain a steady descent rate of ~750 fpm.
- Around 4-5 nm out, lower the Landing Gear
- Disconnect the Heading Hold and spped hold, and ensure that the aircraft is properly aligned with the rwy.
- For the landing U may need to raise the nose a little for the A320. But for the 747, i didnt really have to, and the aircraft is already is a slightly nose-up position.
- Deploy the spoilers about 50 ft off the ground. Be careful to prevent rapid decay in speed.
- Deploy the thrust reversers till the speed has decayed to around 60 knots. Avoid using Full reverse thrust unless the rwy is really short. Retract the spoilers, and the flaps.
- You have arrived!
Now i got to figure out how to get it down on the actual rwy! It always seems to land to the left of the rwy. Any reasons why this must be happening?
Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe
Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days
Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit
Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior
Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft
Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials
Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions
Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin
Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon
Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos
Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft
Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries
Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground
Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos