Dazed767
Topic Author

Safety Card Collecting Becoming A Bore?

Wed Nov 15, 2000 2:46 am

Is it just me, or has this hobby become boring? It seems like more and more airlines don't send them out anymore because of the "milkers" that keep asking for more. I have close to 400 cards, and it's getting hard to find cards I want, but don't already have. Ebay is a joke, because I'm not going to pay $10 for a common card I can maybe get from someone else. Anyone else have the same feelings I do?

RE: Safety Card Collecting Becoming A Bore?

Wed Nov 15, 2000 3:41 am

I think, that it's difficult to get them, too. But would you be happy, if you could get every card you want? Isn't it interesting to send eMails around the world and trade cards with other collectors? I think, that you know lot more people (from different nations) than before collecting safety cards!? That's my opinion.

Wed Nov 15, 2000 4:33 am

I feel like you Dazed767. I've actually stopped collecting safety cards since it was becoming boring !

B737-700

safetycards

Wed Nov 15, 2000 6:42 am

In my opinion, I don't feel bored to collect safety cards, I collect safety cards more than 4 years, I have almost 1100 safety cards, I think collect safety cards just like collect stamps or telephone cards, have to spend long time to collect. If all the cards are send direct from airlines, it is easy and bored, and this is not a hobby, hobby is that you try to find to buy/trade by yourseld, I think always need try to find in the airliners show, eBay, other collector trade list to find your favourite card is much happier than just get idirect from airlines. Like me, when I started to collect safety card, I want Dragonair B737 safety card, I just find it and bought it a week ago, for now, the value of the card is not important for me, but that can show the how am I work-hard to find the card.

Also, collect safety cards can help me keep close to airlines news, like they change new logo, fleet phased out, fleet development..... That is a chain, if I don't collect safety cards, I never that know much of airlines news.

Of course, eBay some of time sold card in around $10 each in common card, but how about the old cards? I don't think that expensive to buy a 1970s-80s in around $15 each, at least eBay is a good source for me to buy some un-popular cards.

By the way, in my opinion, collect everything need time, IF you really enjoy to collect, you never feel bored!

Seriously, if you don't want your cards anymore, just sell them in around $2-3 each, don't sell in eBay for $10 each!

Sammy
http://www.geocities.com/safetycards/

Dazed767
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2000 9:51 am

Well I've only been collecting for a year, and right now I don't have the money to buy the cards, or even trade with overseas collectors (like $4 a package). If I had access to collectable shows, and if I had the money and didn't have to worry about paying for college right now, then I'd love it. I had a blast in PHX and spent like $150 on 70 or so cards. I dont' plan to sell them anytime soon, I worked too hard for the ones I have now. I'll probably just take a break from it, and start collecting again when I have the time/money.

Wed Nov 15, 2000 11:07 am

While milkers have essentially kept the airlines from sending, all this does is make the hobby more difficult, and more rewarding. I got my USAF C-9 a few days ago, and I've been recharged by that deal. I'm now back to active trading (though only domestically until I get my licence in April).

airsicknessbag

Wed Nov 15, 2000 9:08 pm

Apparently, airlines are using photocopies more and more, so it´s hard to tell whether a card is a homemade fake or genuine.
Another point is, in my opinion you have to define one specific area, you can´t just collect everything. For me it´s Lufthansa, Condor and Luftwaffe and one card for each type of aircraft.
This means I don´t get a new card every week or even every month, I have to be patient, making progress ever so slowly.
Take for example the three last LH series: the current plastic cards, the one fold grey new livery paper and the two fold multi coloured old livery paper cards. Last year, I got the last plastic card I didn´t have (F50 stationar O2), this year I got the last grey one I needed (747), now I´m after the last old livery card I don´t have yet: the 727 (i.e. a 727-100, as opposed to the "727B" which is a -200)
Daniel 

H.Wauer

Wed Nov 15, 2000 11:56 pm

I´m 14 years old and I collect since March that are 9 months now and I have wonderful 750 cards. In Germany the cards are not so expensive. Maybe yesterday I´ve bought 40 Lufthansa cards for only 40DM that are 20$. Now I have about 120 LH cards and the old ones too. For Example B727B, DC10; B747L,D,M, B737Y, B737B. I have partners all over the world for example Israel, Australia, USA and Hong Kong. At the convention I´ve bought about 80 cards and trade about 80 too. I´ve got Balkan AN24, TWA B707, SU IL86 and a lot of other cards more. the 80 cards costs 100$. The most collectors say:
"What??? 750 cards in 9 months?????
I´ve trade, sometimes buy at Ebay, and buy privat ( Thats not so expensive).