Radio Scanners Question!

Fri Jan 05, 2001 10:05 am

What other frequencies can a scanner pick up other then the Tower? Like when the plane is high up in the sky...If so, where can i find some of these Frequencys and what are they?

BTW!: JFK is 11 miles away from my house and LGA is 5 miles.. would i be able to pick up their tower??

Thenks alot, OA!

RE: Radio Scanners Question!

Fri Jan 05, 2001 1:12 pm

Well, all commerical ATC is in the 108-137MHz band. If you are wondering about "en route" ATC- it is in the same band as the tower, ground, and approach/departure facilities. I couldn't tell you where to find freqs for sectors in NY Center, though...sorry.

As for JFK, I really couldn't tell you. If you are at a lower elevation than JFK, then definately not, as ATC signals are transmitted upward. As for LGA, sure- you will be able to pick them up. And beside tower, you may be able to pick up ground and clearance delivery freqs as well.

Night Hawk

Fri Jan 05, 2001 7:07 pm

Hi There

Frequencies for the area can be found on most aeronautical charts like Enroute/WAC/VTC charts (not sure of names of charts in the US). As for JFK and La Guardia, you should be able to pic up the tower from your house if you have a good quality base unit, I dont know about a hand help one though.

Regards

Greg

Mon Jan 08, 2001 8:56 am

Go to http://www.airnav.com

It will tell you every frequency for airports in the U.S.

Tue Jan 09, 2001 7:39 am

hey, OylmpicA340

LGA is 2 miles from my home, I could pick up almost every freq. on a cheap radio(not really scanners at all, but just a radio with AIR band)
like: Ground, Departure, ATIS, FSS, Arrival, Tower, sometimes Clearence and JFK arrival!

Macro

Victor Hotel

Sat Jan 13, 2001 8:40 pm

Hey
anyone wouldnt happen to know somewhere where I can find frequencies for other places outside the U.S.
Thanks in advance.
VH

Mark

Sat Jan 13, 2001 11:54 pm

I live in a small town in the middle of the U.S. in fly-over country and I'm very content with listening to the ARTCC high sectors above 24,000 feet. I've been listening to aircraft two-way radio communications since 1975 and it's made for a very enjoyable hobby. People who think you've got to live near an airport to listen to aircraft comms are sadly mistaken.