Early Air
Topic Author

Is It Legal To Take Safety Cards?

Wed Jan 10, 2001 8:04 am

I want to take a poll. I do not think takeing the safty cards from aircraft is a very good idea. The airline only makes those safty cards once. The passengers on the plane need to be able to read those safety cards in case of a real emergency. If you take one of the cards, the next person in the seat will not be able to read the card and then the plane could get into a problem and that person might not know what to do.

elal106

RE: Is It Legal To Take Safety Cards?

Wed Jan 10, 2001 8:16 am

hello,
my opinion is: you're not supposed to, but you can. If the airlines really didnt want them taken they would be very strict and take action, but as you see how many people have been fined or arrested for taking a safety card? lol

all the best
elal106

Jason Seiple

Wed Jan 10, 2001 8:19 am

In the US airliners cannot take off unless each passenger has a safety card (that's how it's supposed to be). Each airplane carries many extras on board, as well as the cleaning crews who come on board at stops, to replenish the supplies, replacing missing cards.

It still isn't a good idea to take one without asking.

Jason Seiple
seiple@email.msn.com

Dazed767

Wed Jan 10, 2001 10:56 am

I take them without asking, sue me. I get mixed reactions with I ask the F/A's. Sometimes I meet some that also collect, and others think I'm crazy (which I am   ). If the card in my seat is beat up, then I'll ask for a fresh one. Jason is right, they are usually replenished after a flight.

scaredflyer21

Wed Jan 10, 2001 12:16 pm

I would'nt say it's "illegal" but it's normally against airline policies.On the other hand airlines have clean up crews that replenish magazines,safety cards,etc. after flights.
Hope this helps!
S C A R E D F L Y E R 2 1

Early Air
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2001 1:28 pm

I see, I did not know they carried extras

airsicknessbag

Wed Jan 10, 2001 7:48 pm

As a general rule, not just for taking safety cards:
if you are nice towards the cabin crew they´ll be nice to you.

If you
- speak to them by their name
- say "please" and "thank you Mr./Ms. XYZ"
- move yourself to the galley to get your extra drink in the middle of a red eye, and chat a little when you´re there
- treat them as a human being rather than like a lower form of life which are just there to serve drinks

they can give you some treats, like
- responding faster when you ring the bell
- giving you an extra meal
- giving you a package of 10 mint safety cards rather than the one torn one from your seat pocket
- negotiate a cockpit visit, even on a US airline.

And yes, all these reactions posted actually happened to me.

Daniel 

Matt D

Thu Jan 11, 2001 1:33 am

I can't believe you actually have to spell that out!!!!! In todays hostile, air rage world, both pax and flight crew are just about at the threshold of going ballistic. You'd be amazed at just how far a simple "please" and "thank you" will go just to make your flight more enjoyable. What the hell ever happened to old fashioned good manners? That seems to be a dying concept among adults and a nonexistant one among todays youth!!!
You should do it just out of common courtesy and respect, not because you have some ulterior motive-like helping to liberate a few safety cards from the cabin.

airsicknessbag

RE: Matt D

Thu Jan 11, 2001 2:26 am

Matt,

I hope you don´t think I act the way I described only to get those cards - it´s rather the other way round: you´re friendly, and all the rest comes as a nice side effect.
By the way, if you have a look at my profile, you´ll discover that I could be counted as "todays youth", even if I try to apply some of those good old old fashioned good manners  .

Daniel 

Thu Jan 11, 2001 3:30 am

It's illegal here in South Africa. They tell you not to remove the safety card from the aircraft, as well as writing it in BIG LETTERS on the front cover, and on one card I have stolen, it gave the law stating that you cannot remove emergency equipment from a public form of transport, or something along those lines. I feel very guilty when I do these things!

But they do have extra cards on board. When I flew first class on the 744 to CPT, in the closet in the nose of the plane, where all the jackets and overcoats are stored, lay a HUGE stack of safety cards! I can't tell you how much that devil was tempting me!! 

Tom  

Accidentally

Thu Jan 11, 2001 6:25 am

I actually have my pilot friends take a card of the plane they fly themselves...
Indianapolis, IN

N139J

Thu Jan 11, 2001 7:23 am

Look, if you feel gulity taking them, then dont take them. I dont think it is illegal, but I have no idea WHY you would even want them. And about the being nice thing; I am "todays youth" (16yrs old) and I am ALWAYS nice, and I don't expect things in return. If you are nice to people, the smile in return should be enough. Not safty cards, cockpit visits and so on. Just because that wasn't your entire angle, you shouldnt use it for side affects. You obviously asked for those things, and who would say no to someone who has been very polite, but you shouldnt use it in that way.
-Jason
N139J

Thu Jan 11, 2001 7:48 am

Regarding to the cockpit visit, US airlines are not really prohibted at any time, In the in'flight magazine of AA, they do say you could visit the cockpit while the plane was parked.

Any ideas?
macro

Thu Jan 11, 2001 8:09 am

Legal? Yes. At least here in the U.S.

It's always a good idea to ask, though I admit that on short hops (like ATL-JAX, which I ride very often), I'll just grab one myself. It's not worth troubling the already busy F/As (esp. on B767-300s of DL) on such short hops when you know there are extras on board.

Now, on longer flights, it's a very good idea to ask. Not that they care if you do take them, but just out of courtesy.

Early Air
Topic Author

Thu Jan 11, 2001 2:53 pm

Thank You for participateing in this forum. I have never taken one of the cards, I will ask next time. The thing with todays youth not being courtious is just propostrous. I am 13 which makes me todays youth. I do agree that some minors are not the nicest mose curtious things in the world. But that is "some" of the minors. Once again, thank you.

-Alex