donder10

Scanners Etc.

Wed Feb 14, 2001 7:50 am

I am completely new to plane spotting but it is something which I have been fascinated about since I was 5.I live directly on the landing path of 27L at Heathrow, about 3 miles out.We get a lot of traffic at what appears to be very altitudes ie.they have long jet streams. Would these be European Trans-Atlantic flights from say to CDG to JFK??I want to buy a scanner which I can use to here the converation of these planes to ATC(London Centre?) and I am willing to pay up to 2oo pounds (about $320 i think).How far will I be able to track these planes for in terms of miles?Could someone please explain to me how communcation between ATC and planes especially high-flying ones work as I am vbery interested in it .However, I am a complete novice.Thanks a lot,alex

donder10

RE: Scanners Etc.

Wed Feb 14, 2001 10:21 pm

Could someone please help me?:D

Thom@s

Wed Feb 14, 2001 11:53 pm

Hi Donder10

Welcome to the discussion forums.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it would be easier to ask someone in the photography forum

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Thu Feb 15, 2001 6:29 am

Welcome to the wonderfull world off aviation communication and spotting. Well, I have been listening since 1990 when i bought my first radio with air-band while I was a lorry-driver. I was driving air-cargo and spent a lot off time waiting in airports like Luxembourg, Amsterdam (Shiphol) and Frankfurt. You may say I got "hooked" back then. Later I bought me a real hand-scanner. Now I am living and working in Copenhagen and spend a lot off my spare time listening to the traffic on CPH (Copenhagen/Kastrup Airport) You don`t have to buy a fancy, expensive scanner as long as it have full air-band coverage. Mine is a Radio Shack PRO29 bought in USA for 55 $ with 60 channel`s. Important is that you have the opportunity to lock-out channels that you don`t want to listen to. This saves you the trouble of re-program your scanner all the time. Another usefull feature is a "priority-channel" so you don`t miss comunication on a given channel. When I go to CPH I print out a list off all departures and arrival`s Now I can monitor the traffic while spotting. Example: from "push and start approved" directions for taxiing till "claered for take-off" (my priority-channel). Feel free to drop me a line if you want to know more. Happy spotting and scanning.
Gert L.

donder10

Thu Feb 15, 2001 6:03 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys:D!To be honest I am more interested in scanning high-flying aircraft.I see a lot of high flying planes ovcer my house which is very near Heathrow and I was wondering what frequency these guys would be tuned into.I think it would be London Centre but I'm not sure.I was told that the VT125 is the best scanner.Do you guys agree?Also would high-flying traffic over Heathrow be from say Paris or Zurich flying to New York?Thanks a lot,alex