airbus380

Scanner Antennas

Sat Feb 17, 2001 10:19 am

I live in Houston. I live 25 miles from IAH and about 15 from HOU. I just bought the Radio Shack PRO-74 race scanner to pick up the ATC. It came with a bad antenna so I bought a Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna made by Radio Shack. I pick up Hobby great, but Intercontinental is hard to pick up. What antenna can I buy to pick up IAH? Thanks!

Airbus380

RE: Scanner Antennas

Sun Feb 18, 2001 3:14 am

I have the same kind and it gives me problems.

Sun Feb 18, 2001 10:00 am

Funny. I live in Denmark Scandinavia and I live about 5 miles from CPH (Copenhagen Airport) My scanner is a Radio Shack pro29 witch I bought in Chicago. It performs exellent while spotting at CPH, at home i can listen to Copenhagen Control and the channel they use for final to CPH, but I have the same problems like you have when I want to listen to the tower (take off and landings) it`s very weak and some times I can`t even hear it. I want a better antenna to.
Gert L.

David L

Sun Feb 18, 2001 11:45 pm

All I can say is don't pin too much hope on a better antenna helping much. I'm assuming that it's the closer station that's giving you the problem, otherwise you'd have put it down to distance. It may just be that there are buildings or high-ish terrain blocking the signal from the closer station. You could try taking your scanner as high as possible, like the attic, for example, and see if that helps. If it does, you might consider getting an antenna which you can mount in the attic or on the roof. Signal reception is notoriously unpredictable so you should gain as much information as you can with what you've got before splashing out on an expensive antenna.

How's that for a long-winded way of saying "beats me"?