BA747-436
Topic Author

Air Scanners?

Wed May 16, 2001 11:00 pm

Hi,
I'm a total novice to the world of scanners ect.
I would like to buy one and listen to ATC and aircraft movements, APR ect from my home. I live approximatley 20 miles away form EGLL (Heathrow) and about 5 miles away from London City Airport. Would it be possible to listen to Heathrow? Or am i to far away? Please somone help me here on if this would be possible, what i need and a rough estimate on pricing.
Many thanks for your help  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Regrds
Dan
Dan Valentine - Bad Ass MOFO Photographer

LBA

RE: Air Scanners?

Wed May 16, 2001 11:28 pm

How much money do you have? Be prepared to spend a minimum of £150. I have a Uniden Bearcat with 100 channel memory. It cost about £120 two or three years ago and is a good entry level model. Generally the greater frequency coverage you require the more expensive the scanner - for instance mine does not cover the military range. You would certainly be able to hear the a/c transmissions on approach to LHR, I get all Manchester traffic up to them being about 8 miles out and I live 40 miles away, but tower transmissions would be difficult without a decent antenna, these start from about £20. I live 5 miles from LBA but can only get the tower in certain weather conditions, but I have no problem with ground vehicle and a/c transmissions. I was a novice and went to a local supplier who spent a good half an hour with me going through the options. In the end budget was my limiting factor.

BA747-436
Topic Author

RE: LBA

Thu May 17, 2001 12:19 am

Thanks for all your help mate  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Wow that's pretty expensive then! So i'd be looking at spending around £200 for the the lot (aerial, scanner everything) Hmmm, i guess i'll have to wait a few months to get that kind of money.
Thanks  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Dan
Dan Valentine - Bad Ass MOFO Photographer

GOT

Thu May 17, 2001 2:44 am

I have a Maycom AR-108. It's a small, pretty cheap ( ithink it costed less then 100£) and I can listen in the range 108-136 MHz plus the amateuor band 135-160 MHZ or something. If your looking for a cheap scanner i can recomand it.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

modesto2

Thu May 17, 2001 11:40 am

I have a Radio Shack PRO-79 and it's great. It cost $100 USD and it works perfectly. I live 10 miles from LAX and when I'm at the right place, I can listen to Approach, Departure and Tower. When I'm at the airport, the reception is great. It adds a lot to plane-spotting. It's a great investment.

Thu May 17, 2001 1:01 pm

Just to answer your question, it's pretty unlikely you'll be able to pick up any ATC commnucations from 20nm away. You should be able to hear the pilots responding to the controllers, but you won't actually hear the controllers issuing them. This is because the signal won't travel well along the ground, but it's much clearer in the air, so you'll hear the pilots. Hope this helps,

Greg
ZBW