Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirOne
Topic Author

Oddest Thing You Have Recived From An Airline?

Sat Aug 25, 2001 4:46 am

Hi,

I am just curious what the most peculiar things is that an airline has sent you. I have recieved clothing mainly tee shirts. Also from British AIrways I recieved a rubics cube that when you solve it it says British Air on each side, also from the I got a CD with the music they play while the plane is boarding, like the jazz music. From Crossair I got chocolate.
I think it is interesting and would like to hear what you have gotten...

Thanks,
AirOne

crank

RE: Oddest Thing You Have Recived From An Airline?

Sat Aug 25, 2001 5:44 am

During my trip to Cuba, we had a computer problem on the A320 so we have to turn around and go back to YYZ. We finally arrived in Varadero 4 hours late.
Few days after I came back home I received a letter form Air canada saying that they are sorry for the U-turn and they will add 2500 points in my Aeroplan account.

BA-747

Sat Aug 25, 2001 5:45 am

ive had nothing !!!!! what, do you just write to them and ask them for stuff??

Sat Aug 25, 2001 5:56 am

ive had nothing !!!!! what, do you just write to them and ask them for stuff??

Pretty much.

BA-747

Sat Aug 25, 2001 6:00 am

well i think thats pretty RUDE begging for stuff haaaaaa

AirOne
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2001 6:47 am

BA-747-

Think of it this way. I ask for magazines. At the end of the month an airline probably has about 100 magazines that have become obsoleet to the new months issue. You can think of it as doing them a favor by taking some off their hands. hahahaha

AirOne

sushka

Sun Aug 26, 2001 10:53 am

I got some strange candy from Crossair, several photocopies of saftey cards from Krasair and a letter from an airline that I forget saying that they cant send me anything.

Sun Aug 26, 2001 11:45 am

LOL. Be polite about it though Big grin

Jason Seiple

Sun Aug 26, 2001 9:28 pm

Costs more for the airline to send heavy magazines to you via the mail than to throw them away though.  Smile

klm672

Sun Aug 26, 2001 10:08 pm

A whole bunch of Concorde stuff from BA, and a month later the Concorde went down.... freaky.......

sushka

Sun Aug 26, 2001 11:17 pm

Oh yeah LH sent me a bunch of 70s black and white photos and ATA sent me a 757 photo with tape already on the back.

Coolair

Sun Aug 26, 2001 11:27 pm

Does anybody know where can I find addresses of airlines so I can ask them too?

klmfan

Mon Aug 27, 2001 3:31 am

My geography teacher told our class that NG (LaudaAir) were handing out cond**s on flights to Bangkok and Phuket. I wonder how he happens to know that... Big grin

AirOne
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2001 4:15 am

Coolair-

Simply go to an airlines website and look for a Contact Us button or something simalar to that. Pretty much every airline website has their address.

This site lists a bunch of airline websites if you want to check it out....

http://home.soneraplaza.nl/mw/prive/mdn/airlines.html

By the way,

KLMfan-

interesting story, I have never heard one like that before..

AirOne

BA-747

Mon Aug 27, 2001 8:05 am

ANDDDDDDDDD

Jason Seiple

Mon Aug 27, 2001 11:43 am

Yes, Lauda has condoms as part of the Amadeus Class amenity kits.

hias

Mon Aug 27, 2001 2:53 pm

I received a book from a Brazilian airline about their history. On the cover it says that it is worth 30 US$. This airline also send me postcards, calenders, a domino game....

deltairlines

Wed Aug 29, 2001 2:44 am

TransBrasil sent me the book too, which was very generous of them. It is on my bookshelf in my room with my other aviation books.
I have received chocolate (Crossair, and it was good chocolate), keychains, rulers, magnets (I have my WN ones on the fridge), etc.

Jeff

174thfwff

Wed Aug 29, 2001 1:45 pm

-Blink In-

Nothing because I sue all the airlines I have been on for stress because of my fear of flying.

(this is a joke btw...)

174thfwf

-Blink Out-

klmfan

Wed Aug 29, 2001 4:22 pm

If I want some stuff from an airline, how should I put it? What should I ask for (I don't want magazines) ?

sushka

Wed Aug 29, 2001 9:30 pm

Just say that your a collector and tell them your name and age and that you like safety cards etc. But you have to be really nice and say please and thankyou  Smile

Jason Seiple

Wed Aug 29, 2001 10:24 pm

You can get things from airlines many different ways. Most are not as forthcoming with a large amount of items anymore. I did most of my writing to airlines (only write to an airline ONCE because if they are like most companies, they keep track of who sends in letters/requests and the dates... so if you send multiple requests, they'll know it) several years ago. I received lots of items from airlines many of you say no longer send out items. United Airlines, for example, sent me a box with amenity kits, a Schabak model, safety cards, inflight magazine, postcards, catalog of United items, pen/pencil set, stationary, etc. Reeve Aleutian Airlines sent me a large envelope with all of their safety cards plus a book on their history and several brochures/booklets. I even received a good sized package from Uzbekistan Airways. I think that due to the ideas people receive from sites like this, airlines are taking in a much larger volume of requests and simply can't fill them all on a cost basis. It does cost money to mail heavy packages or boxes to collectors. It does cost money to give away safety cards, models, t-shirts, books, etc. It may not be very much on just one item, but say every person on airliners.net writes to the same airline requesting free things. The cost does add up and is significant. Some airlines refer safety card collectors straight to the printing companies now.

I had some success faxing to a few airlines. Not many collectors try that method and often the fax number reaches a different department than snail mail letters. E-mail seems to be the least effective method. On many airline websites, the e-mail address simply goes to the website manager or programmer who wouldn't be able to fill any requests for memorabilia even if they knew what you were requesting.

Customer service agents at ticket counters/offices and gates sometimes will get items for collectors but that is becoming rare. The last couple of times I have asked flight attendants on board my flight for a safety card, I have told "Here is one, but you did not get this from me" and was also reminded to never just take one off of an airplane as they are required safety equipment. As my flight textbooks say, they are required under airline operations to be available for every passenger. It is a crime to remove them from an aircraft without permission. Airlines in the past have been heavily fined when an FAA inspector finds seats mid-flight without safety information cards.

Jason Seiple
JAX
jasonseiple@hotmail.com

airbus380

Thu Aug 30, 2001 1:44 am

I was flying HNL-IAH on a CO DC-10-30. It was the pilots last flight and I was sitting in BusinessFirst, I received a framed photo and autograph from the pilot. Regards:

Thu Aug 30, 2001 8:07 am

In February 1981 I called the 800 number for Sunbird Airlines in Charlotte, NC and requested a timetable to be mailed to me. Not only did I get a timetable but an invitation to a party in Columbia, SC where they would announce new service to Columbia. I was 14 at the time.

Thu Aug 30, 2001 9:03 am

one airline sent me the floating part of the seat!!!! weird....

klmfan

RE: Sushka, Jason Seiple

Thu Aug 30, 2001 4:05 pm

Sushka,
of course I will say "please" and "thank you".  Big grin
Thanks for your advice, I will try.

Jason,
Thank you for your advice, I will try to get some things. Maybe I'm lucky.  Smile

elal106

RE: Usair737-200

Thu Aug 30, 2001 4:16 pm

hahah now thats funny usair!!! cool!!

next time try and ask for a gorgeous Flight attendant!

cheers
fly LY777s!
elal106  Laugh out loud

danialanwar

Thu Aug 30, 2001 4:55 pm

Must have been my special meal on Singapore Airlines on a flight from Zurich - Singapore. Breakfast was basically the same as the appetizier I got for dinner a few hours before (this time hot, though), some stone to fix the tray to the table (turned out to be the breadroll) and the coffee that was served 45 minutes after the meal!

L-188

Sat Sep 01, 2001 8:58 pm

My first W-2 from Reeve Aleutian.....

Since I was hired in December I didn't receive a check during that tax year but since I was on the books before the 31st, I was still sent a W-2

Nothing on it but my name, Address, SSN and a bunch of Zeros.

Tue Sep 04, 2001 5:05 am

I got a exercise thing from Emirates and bags.