Have You Ever Built A 1/48 Scale F-101 Voodoo

Tue Oct 16, 2001 6:05 am

i just recently ordered a monogram F-101 voodoo model and i was curios if any of you guys ever built this model.and if you could tell me th pros and cons about it? any help is good.

VonRichtofen

RE: Have You Ever Built A 1/48 Scale F-101 Voodoo

Tue Oct 16, 2001 6:15 am

Is it good ol' Monogram? Or Monogram/Revell?
I've built the old monogram one and it was excellent.

If it's just Monogram then you'll really enjoy building it, I've never had problems with monogram. 1/48th scale is the best too, especially with WWII aircraft.

I haven't built anything that's Monogram/Revell so I couldn't tell you what to expect with that.

Have fun!!

Kris

Tue Oct 16, 2001 6:55 am

kris it is a monogram not revell/monogram.did you have any problems keeping the fuesalage or wings together?

VonRichtofen

Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:00 am

No I didn't have any problems....
hmmmmm...

Is it warped? Sometimes if it's a little warped you have to cement it, then hold it for awhile. It's frustrating and takes alot of patience. Are you new to model building?

Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:06 am

i ahve not received the model yet i just wanted to know if i had to buy any putty to fill in gaps.no i ahve been building models for about 3 yrs.one question i have is how do you detail the cockpit to make it look real?

VonRichtofen

Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:19 am

As for the puddy question, that depends on the model, some you do, some you don't. Most of mine don't need it because I do very careful trimming with a razor blade before I put it together. You'll have to determine that when you get the model.

As for detailing the cockpit:
The most important thing is to PAINT BEFORE YOU PUT TOGETHER.
Also use and extremely fine tip brush (I also use a second fine tip brush waiting in paint thinner incase of a mistake). Does your model come with a pilot or crew?

Hope this helps,

Kris

Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:25 am

yes,i beleive it comes with 2 pilots(1 for each seat).

VonRichtofen

Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:45 am

Ok, well make sure you paint before you put together. It being 1:48th scale you'll be able to detail the cockpit quite accurately especially the pilots.

Good Luck!!

Kris

Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:54 am

kris,one more question what type of paint do you recomend i use and what brand of brush's? thank you for all your help

VonRichtofen

Tue Oct 16, 2001 8:11 am

Well I'm not sure if what I use in Canada is available in the U.S.
But I would reccomend Humbrol enamel paint for larger pieces, it's a nice paint, thick and rich. However it's a little too thick to detail interiors etc. For that I would use Testors paint. Testors is also excellent for the larger parts, I use both on the large parts depending on which one makes the best colours suited to my model.

As for brush's, well I don't bother worrying about brand when it comes to this. Just find some good quality brush's (you don't need to know brand name's because you can tell which are good). Also the good one's are usually the more expensive one's, however it's not always neccessary. Just make sure you get a good fine tip brush, they come in very handy with all projects.

If the two paints I mentioned aren't available in the U.S. don't hesitate to ask an experienced modeller at a good hobby shop. I'm sure they'll help!

Cheers,

Kris