AirOne
Topic Author

Why Do Some Downloaded Aircarft Not Appear?

Sun Oct 21, 2001 7:48 am

Hi,

I was trying to download seven aircraft from flightsim. Once I had all of them in the right spot I fired up Flight SImulator 98 and only three of the seven appear on the select aircraft list. I have redownloaded the others and they still don't work, I even tried the other aircraft made by diffrent people but they don't appear. Why is this?

Also, when some show i get the message "This program has performed an illegal operation" why does that show?

Thanks in advance...

AirOne

Notar520AC

RE: Why Do Some Downloaded Aircarft Not Appear?

Mon Oct 22, 2001 12:35 pm

Sometimes you have to mess around with it a little. There should be 4 folders in the a/c folder entitled MODEL, TEXTURE, SOUND, and PANEL. You may have to cut and paste a little to get things in their right folders. Anymore problems and email me at jrtopliff@home.net. Happy flying!
BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

lapa_saab340

Mon Oct 22, 2001 4:46 pm

The problem you're having occurs when the downloaded plane is not using one of flight simulator's default panels or sounds.

Sometimes the airplanes you download might be configured to read the panel and sound files from a particular folder in the creator's computer. If these folders are not present in your computer, then flight simulator does not load the plane.

For the airplanes that are not loading, open the panel.cfg and sound.cfg files and check what they say.
If you're dealing with jets, it should contain something like this

panel.cfg
[alias]=lear45\panel or [alias]=b737_400\panel

and [alias]=lear45\sound or [alias]=b737_400\panel

This instructs flight simulator to use the default learjet or 737 panels and sounds. Just go back to the planes that are not showing and check their panel.cfg and sound.cfg files, and modify them if they do not contain the lines as the ones above. If you're dealing with a propeller plane, you'll need to use the default cessna 182 panel instead of the jets.

VgnAtl747

Mon Oct 22, 2001 8:15 pm

If you don't have all the gauges, that can cause an illegal opperation, but also, if there is a file missing, or linked wrong as LAPA_SAAB340 wrote.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

AirOne
Topic Author

Tue Oct 23, 2001 8:57 am

Thanks for your replies. I will try it and report back in the next few days.

AirOne