Landing On Microsoft Flight Simulator

Mon Nov 05, 2001 2:18 am

I love flying with the FS2000, but I'm terrible at making landings. My questions are :
1. How do you decide when and where you make your decent (eg - 10 miles away at 10,000 ft at 100 knots etc.)

2. How do you decend and land in the simplest way- in a few stages?

Also, what scale is the map view in? When you look at info for an airport and it gives lengths, is it in imperial or metric measures? And finally, to make it easier to position the plane, I move it on the map, but is there a simple way to put it at Top of descent on there?

Many thanks for your time/expertise.

Alex.

Continental

RE: Landing On Microsoft Flight Simulator

Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:17 am

When you are tuned to a frequency, it tells you how far you are from that place. Your glideslope indicator does that for you, it tells you if you are too high or low on your descent, and how straight you are with the runway. I had problems years ago, now all of my landings are flawless.

Continental

Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:24 am

Thankyou Continental - how do you tune to a frequency, and what is the glidescope indicator?

Thanks

Blackened

Mon Nov 05, 2001 7:28 am

You tune in the ILS frequency of the runway you want to land on. Therefore you need to change the NAV 1 frequency. Can be done on the panel or through the navigation menu. The glideslope indicator then shows you if you're above or below the glideslope. Where it is depends on your panel. I suggest you to have a look at the manual or take flight lesson.
There are formulas (I don't know by heart) that include altitude, speed, descend rate and that'll give you the distance needed for descending. I suggest you to learn such a formula then you'll know when you have to descend.
BTW: landing in MSFS is easy.
Bring it back, bring it back, bring it back

sushka

Tue Nov 06, 2001 1:09 am

If your in a heavy jet keep your speed at around 140 knots on approach, maybe you are gong too fast ?  Smile
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

captjetblast

Step By Step!

Wed Nov 07, 2001 12:34 am

As indicated in FS help, use 3 to 1 rule: drop the 3 rightest zeros to your altitude, multiply by 3 and that's the distance to start a descent, 250 knots, -1800 ft/min vertical speed.
Example:
if you are at 30000 feet (FL 300), 30x3=90, so at 90 Nautical miles from the airport, start your descent.
Autopilot helps a lot.

Anyway, try to fly flight plans; pilots don't descent directly to the runway, may be you'll be cleared to FL 100, then FL 60, then FL 30 to pick up the ILS, and complete landing.

Fly adventures already loaded in FS, or get a flight planer.

Enjoy.

Continental

RE: Step By Step!

Wed Nov 07, 2001 7:38 am

Also, when landing and you want to line up visually, line up with the end of the runway, not the front. Wait to flare AFTER you have gone over the green VASI, and make sure you are a little above stall speed. The plane will eventually touchdown, and the rest is easy.

Continental

klm672

Wed Nov 07, 2001 9:50 am

I just use the same method that I use to land my real 747, on my front lawn.