Where In PHX Airport Do You Spot?

Sat Dec 22, 2001 4:52 pm

I would like to know where you guys go planespotting and also, know the best places to spot in PHX Sky Harbor...also considering that there are large crowds, full and covered parking garages, tight security, etc...

(gotAIRBUS?) - (Got Commonality?) - (Have A Nice Flight!)

RE: Where In PHX Airport Do You Spot?

Mon Dec 24, 2001 4:48 am

The rooftop (2nd level) of the Terminal 2 parking ramp gives an excellent view of PHX runway 8/26. Also, the sun angles are great for photography of aircraft using 8/26 during the late morning and early afternoon hours during the Winter months. When 8 is in use the taxiway for departing aircraft is especially close.

The parking ramps for Terminals 3 and 4 also offer some excellent vantage points. Many of the the photos taken at PHX that are seen in the database were taken from the west side of the Terminal 4 ramp facing the overpass by which aircraft taxi regularly from the north side terminal areas to the south side parallel runways 7/25.

RE: Where In PHX Airport Do You Spot?

Mon Dec 24, 2001 12:59 pm

All the places that Tango-Bravo suggested are wonderful places and I spot there everyweekend, but, another good/great place to spot is on the south side of the airport just west of the FedEx and UPS cargo area, it is called Cutter Aviation, a good FBO, and it has an upper deck part that is great for watching landings and takeoffs on RWY 7L/R and 25L/R. It is shaded by the old Sky Harbor control tower, and every once in a while, they will let you up there to take photos and look around!(except none of my photos from the time I got up there got accepted here. ARRG.) But it is a great place for spotting and there are usually 2 or 3 other spotters up there.