gotAirbus

Keflavik & Airliners

Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:10 am

I've always wondered:

- What kind of airliners fly there (apart from Icelandair) and,

- For planespotters in iceland, what kinds of aircraft (eg. B757) do you see there.

This question raised in my head when I saw how small Iceland Int'l airport is and the kinds and varieties of aircraft that fly there seem to be smaller than US airports.

gotAirbus?
(gotAIRBUS?) - (Got Commonality?) - (Have A Nice Flight!)

Continental

RE: Keflavik & Airliners

Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:42 am

I go to Iceland once a year, I fly Icelandair 757 MSP-Rejavik. (nice airline by the way) We go there because my parents love it there, so we end up going. We also go around Keflavik, and I found some great spots of the airport. I've noticed that there is Icelandair there, Myflug, they have a few small props like Dash-8. There is Air Iceland which has 747s, Greenlandair which has the Dash-7, Icebird Airlines, Canada 3000 used to make stops then continue on to Europe with 757s, Icebird Airways, Bluebird, those are the only ones I have witnessed myself, I'm sure there are plenty more.

Continental
BTW, if you fly USA-EUROPE or EUROPE-USA and you fly over Iceland, don't you love the vast brown landscape, and you can find a small little farm every 50 miles! That's the best part of the flight, the rugged region of Iceland!

Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:57 pm

I was stationed at Keflavik twice (88-89,94-95) with the F-15 squadron (57FS) and saw a varitey of airliners, though most were there because of maintenance problems or sick passengers. I saw a Lufthansa 747 land due to ill passenger in 95 and a 767 from American was having engine problems and diverted there. I took most of my photos from the military side and got a lot of the AMC contract flight (American Trans Air 757s) that arrived every Saturday. Miami Air has the contract now and flies 737s from Baltimore to Keflavik every Saturday. I was in Keflavik in 89 when Icelandair transitioned from DC-8s to 757s. I don't know of any spots other than the Navy side but there is a photographer on this site that has been photographing planes at Keflavik for years, his name is Baldur Svenson (Spelling?) and I meet him in 94'. You should be able to contact him via email or just do a search on "Iceland" on this site and you will see one of this photos.

hello_aseena

RE: Cotinental

Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:33 am

Sorry but you are wrong about Air Iceland having 747. They have Fokker 50, ATR42, Metro -serving domestic routes from Reykjavik. I guess you meant Air Atlanta have 747 in their fleet??

regards

Continental

RE: Cotinental

Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:34 pm

YES!! lol, there was an Air Atlanta with a 747 at Keflavik. For sure, I know that AIR ICELAND doesn't have a 747, LOL

Continental

ThirtyEcho

Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:42 pm

You should post this in the "Civil Aviation" forum. The one you are in is mostly flight simulators and collectors.

Sun Feb 24, 2002 9:22 pm

When Canada3000 was still alive they had tons of flights out of KEF as the 757s had to refuel there on their way to Europe.
I myself have stopped over there on CMM. IT's a very nice and beautiful little airport.

@Continental : As far as I know no flights from Europe to North America fly over Iceland as it is a restricted zone. I think only Army planes and planes flying to/from Iceland are allowed to enter the airspace.
At least one of my flight charts says so.

Continental

RE: B737-700

Mon Feb 25, 2002 12:58 am

Nope, actually, when I was on LH from FRA-ORD, on the map, we were over Iceland. I remember the big brown rifts, because it's on the mid atlantic ridge. The pilot even told us we were over Iceland. Just a little later, we passed over Greenland. So unless the pilot was lying, the map was wrong, and there was some big land with rifts, then I was over ICELAND.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Continental

RE: B737-700

Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:39 am

Ok I see. Well guess then my map is not that up to date anymore.
Also my flights to/from Northamerica have always passed either south or north of Iceland.
Oh well, anyways. Doesn't matter.