Scanning In Mexico

Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:58 am

Hi all,

I will be leaving for Mexico in a couple of days, and I was wondering if it is a good idea to bring my "communications receiver" or not. I have not brought it anywhere since Sept. 11, and I'm not sure if Mexico is one of those paranoid countries. So, if anyone knows the laws and/or how the officials would react to me listening to ATC with my scanner (mainly in Puerto Vallarta), please let me know. Many thanks.

RE: Scanning In Mexico

Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:12 pm

I would leave it at home. Chances are you would have no problem, but....I am not sure if they have laws covering use of scanners but it can lead to unwelcome problems. Mexican law beleives that you are guilty until you prove your innocence, which means if you violate the law you go to jail. Period. And it is a serious problem to get you out. Beautiful country, greeat people, legal system sucks. (Just err on the side of caution. )

RE: Scanning In Mexico

Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:23 am

Contact the nearest Mexican embassy or consulate and ask. If they say it's OK, ask for a written and signed letter in Spanish and English and take that with you. If someone then complains, you have an official document permitting you to bring it.
I wish I were flying