Hurricane
Topic Author

ILS Approach Question

Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:33 am

I know this question is for an outdated sim, but it has really been bugging me...
Is there any way to do an ILS approach in FS2000? I have searched and searched and can't find a way to do it. Can anyone solve my problem???

Thx in advance...

GRZ-AIR

RE: ILS Approach Question

Tue Apr 02, 2002 4:45 am

punch in the frequ. and watch the instruments....
When I joined A.net it was still free, haha ;).

Hurricane
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2002 5:05 am

Punch in the freq. in NAV1 and just leave it? Don't you have to put it on autopilot or anything?

FredT

Tue Apr 02, 2002 5:35 am

Naw, just fly it manually on raw data.

Cheers,
/Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

UPS763

Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:29 am

make sure you have the NAV selected rather then the GPS and punch in your ILS frequency on the NAV1 radio. The bugs should appear and follow them to fly the approach.

Hurricane
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:51 am

I finally got it to work! Thanks for all the help...

crank

Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:06 am

geez you guys are lazy, if you don't want to explain the right process well don't say anything.

1. Get the frequency of the runway from world/map view (click on the airport, there will be a list of runways with the frequnecies and heading).

2. At about 20 miles from the airport set your frequency in NAV1. Turn the NAv button of the autopilot on.

3. As soon as you will be close enough to ILS range (between 15-25 miles) you will see 2 needles appear on your HSI, one vertically and the other horizontally.

4. There should be a dot or line right in the middle, to the right of your HSI, that's the correct glideslope.

If the needle goes up, you're too low, if it goes down well you're too high. There should be another dot or line in the center (at the bottom) of your HSI this one is for the correct heading.

If it goes to the left, turn to the left, if it goes to the right, turn to the right.

That's how to handle the plane manually in ILS situation, if you want the autopilot to fly it (when there are no strong winds), turn the APP button on instead of the NAV one.

Remember that if you make the autopilot do the approach for you to disegage the autopilot at 300 AGL or the plane will smash on the runway.

Also make sure that you are set to NAV and not GPS.

Looking at the picture below might help you.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Julian Whitelaw

Hurricane
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:21 am

Thx Crank...that helps even more. You say you have to disengage the Autopilot or the plane will crash, but I kept it running and it was fine! Strange...
Thx again...

FredT

Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:44 am

Crank,
pehaps since often it is better to give encouragment, so that people will go find the correct information for themselves? Especially when covering complex subjects such as this.

BTW, you're not flying manually if you're using the A/P NAV function. In fact, in the real world you probably have three axis A/P or no A/P at all. That is, no lateral A/P control without vertical control and vice versa. Selected A/P mode doesn't matter when you're flying on raw data.

In the pic you linked, LNAV indicates lateral navigation, VNAV PTH indicates that the B744 is following a predetermined path (FL330 level in this case) and SPD indicates that it is using the A/T to maintain a preset speed, M.85 in the picture. You can't disengage VNAV without disengaging LNAV as well.

The cross in the middle of the PFD in the pic isn't the ILS bars but the flight director. It is an option to have it as a cross rather than the more frequently seen airplane symbol.

Hurricane,
I suggest reading the FS2002 ground school chapters on flying an ILS. Or even better, search the web. There are sites with excellent tutorials on instrument procedures out there. I'll try to dig up a link when I have the time. Best of all, go find a book on instrument flying. It is a very interesting subject so don't be scared off by the complexity! Give it time, and it will all come together. Begin with shooting ILS approaches, then move on to basic VOR to VOR navigation.

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

crank

Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:55 am

The cross in the middle of the PFD in the pic isn't the ILS bars but the flight director. It is an option to have it as a cross rather than the more frequently seen airplane symbol.

I wasn't reffering to those bars, forget about the pic, I took a quick look at it and misread it.

Hurricane
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:03 am

I think I got it figured out for the most part, though I think I'll study up on it a bit more...Thanks for all the help...