Dash8King
Topic Author

ATC Help

Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:02 pm

I thought that when using IFR rules that the ATC were supposed to tell me when to lower flaps, what speed to go etc... but when I use IFR it just tells me what heading and altitude and then when I get close to the Airport it switches me to Visual rules. Is there anyway to change that? What am I doing wrong, can anyone help me?

Thanks

RE: ATC Help

Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:05 pm

Dash8King,

There isn't really any way to change that, because ATC doesn't tell you when to lower your flaps - not even in real life. That's up to you, the pilot. ATC will sometimes issue speed restrictions, or tell you to slow to a certain speed. That is for spacing between other you and other aircraft.

However, IFR ATC clearances should include a clearance for an instrument approach. ("Cleared for the ILS, VOR, etc.. approach...")

'Speed

Dash8King
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:02 pm

Yeah thats what I mean, don't know how flaps got in there. Because I like to play with low visibility and stuff like that and when I get to 4000 feet they clear me for a visual, so by the time I can see the runway I overshoot it and have to do a go around.

jwenting

Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:15 pm

In real life ATC might give you a specific speed, but no more.
A controller does not have to know when you need to extend flaps. He IS supposed to know the limitations (more or less) of the type of aircraft you fly so he doesn't order a C172 to fly at FL250 and 300 knots indicated.

The code for speed restrictions was probably planned for FS2002 (people have found sound files with speed restrictions...) but not implemented because of time problems.
Maybe in the next version (or in an update, if and when that comes).
I wish I were flying

Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:23 pm

Try setting the visability around one mile, and then see what happens. When the visability is good enough, it's pretty common for ATC to clear you for a visual approach, even though you are on an instrument flight plan. It helps traffic flow a lot.

'Speed

sharpnfuzzy

Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:54 am

What airports do your flight plans end at? Because not all airports have ILS enabled runways. Even large airports (schiphol for one) can have a runway or 2 that doesn't use ILS, and if the wind is blowing from the right direction, then that runway just happens to be the active.

Dash8King
Topic Author

Thu Apr 11, 2002 7:43 am

lots of places but around YSCB and YMML lately. I have my visibility at 5 miles.

N139J

Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:48 am

5 miles is within VFR minimums. Lower it below that and they should clear you IFR.
-Jason
N139J

KALB

Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:34 am

If I'm on an IFR flight plan I get cleared for an instrument approach regardless of visibility unless I request a visual approach. For non ILS equipped runways you may have to do non-precision approaches using VOR or NBD. Get out those Jep or NOAA approach plates. Jeppesen does sell Approach and Departure charts on CD for flight sim. I have the charts for eastern USA.

9V-SVA

Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:18 pm

I always get cleared to ILS-equipped runways on my flights. The thing is, I always land SHORT.

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER