hmm. This works for me and seems about what the tutorials say
1) set the ILS frequency and heading in VOR1.
2) set the VOR and/or NDB for the airport in VOR2/ADF (for navigating to the airport).
3) intercept the ILS slightly below glideslope and within 30 degrees of the localiser (this for the autopilot, it sometimes has trouble establishing with more extreme deviations).
5) set up the aircraft for landing. You should be about 10nm out now (or closer with a light aircraft, say 5nm).
This includes setting autobrake, arming spoilers, set landing flaps, lower gear, set final approach speed. You have a few seconds for all this
6) engage APR mode on the autopilot.
7) enter the missed approach hold in VOR2 or the ADF (just in case)
8) watch that glideslope. On rare occasions the autopilot will go too low and you will have to take over.
9) disengage the autopilot at decision height (or just let it land itself and disengage at touchdown, works 9 times out of 10).
9a) disengage autothrottle and idle throttles just before touchdown. On touchdown deploy thrustreversers.