propilot83

Flying Over The North And South Poles?

Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:51 am

Has anyone ever tried in any flight simulator version to try to fly over the north and south poles? It doesnt work in all the flight simulator versions, I have FS98 and if you try to fly past the north or south pole, or even if you try to get close to it, the plane will turn around in circles, it wont let you pass the north and south poles, you get stuck sometimes and the simulation shuts down. I know that in real life you can fly over the north and south poles, because there are airlines that fly artic and polar routes, but that sucks how you cant in the game, and some one told me that in real life pilots dont fly with the autopilot on if they try to cross over the north or south poles, is this true? I just wish Microsoft could have designed the game to where you can fly over the north and south poles without any hassle. Then you can fly the shortest routes from two different points anywhere on the earth. Well give me your comments and answers, thanks, peace out!!!!!!

Fly Safe,
Mostafa

RE: Flying Over The North And South Poles?

Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:08 am

Mostafa -
I am a 747 pilot, but excuse me, I dont even know what a FS98 simulator is... I also happen to be a check captain and instructor in 747, often working in simulators, but I have not heard about a FS98...
I read, you mention a "game" in you note... well what are we dealing with here? Games, or technical airline and aviation subjects???
(s) Skipper

Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:20 am

Mostafa -
Forgot to mention, but I crossed the North Pole a few times on PTS "Oscar"...
But that is only to North 87 degrees... still some 180 NM away from the North Pole... I did not notice that the autopilot was having problems...
Some years ago, I took a team of some scientists to the South Pole, exactly at South 90 degrees... we did stay in that area for about 2 hours duting which they did some measurements and observations... we were on autopilot at all times... (s) Skipper

Lu

Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:36 am

Sir,
Do you hear a software called PS13, Precisition Simulator 747-400? It is more real than FS98.
FS98 is Microsoft Flight Simulator, and we have FS2002 now. It is a game, but it is as real as it.
I did fly North Pole in PS13 from New York to Hongkong.

PPGMD

Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:42 am

Well just a guess but if you set you autopilot for heading lock (if its magnetic compass) to North, you will find that as soon as you cross the Magnetic Northpole everyway that you can go is South. The same would be true crossing the true North Pole using true headings.
At worst, you screw up and die.

godbless

Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:07 pm

I guess that a GPS-guideance is better since the autopilot only would fly direct to the magnetic northpole which is not the actual most northern part of the world.

SailorOrion

Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:14 pm

Godbless,
you should better forget GPS around the poles, since in many cases, you simply do not have enough satellites in view to get a fix.

SailorOrion

Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:05 am

Gentlemen -
I realized that you are dealing with "computer games" which supposedly represent airplanes... and you call simulators... then the discussion goes on to make erroneous statements about autopilots, GPS, etc...
This is a technical forum, your discussion belongs in "aviation hobbies"...
You cannot in anyway qualify, or even "train yourself" with such computer program, and by no means are they used in any form in training programs of pilots... you want to fly a simulator (real simulator)... rent one for some $200/ hour, such as a 747, with an instructor... there are plenty of them available at various locations...
(s) Skipper

B747forlife

Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:40 am

Sorry to be an ass B747skipper, but shut up. You don't have to sound so cynical and condescending to these people.

-Nick

NZ767

Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:45 pm

Good one Nick,

Propilot originally posted this in the Hobby forum and I suggested to him that he would probably get a better explanation regarding polar navigation from the people here who do it for a living.

Now we all know that computer flight-sim is a game, but that doesn't detract from the fact that we non-flyers derive a lot of pleasure and curiosity out of it which leads us to seek more information as to how things are done in the real world.

B747skipper, I've seen plenty of your type on Pprune.
Look up Propilots profile and note his age.
Somehow I don't think that he would have $200 an hour to spend on a full motion simulator session unless you're prepared to arrange one for him free of charge.
If not, then I suggest you keep your cynical comments to yourself rather than use this thread to display your superiority over others as I know that there are people here who would gladly explain to Propilot what he wants to know.
The kids keen to learn; give him a break.

Mike (NZWN)

NZ767

Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:12 pm

Damn,
This thread was moved while I was posting!  Pissed